FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought an 83, Lots of questions

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Th factory started with the windscreen antennae because the insurance companies were pushing for them because car washes would damage the extending-retracting antennas. DMC quickly found out (like all other car manufacturers did) that unless you were in a big city near the transmitters you could not get a good signal. The problem is the signal is "polarized". That means it is transmitted in the vertical plane and the windscreen antennae is in a horizontal plane. That makes it VERY inefficient. By switching to first the manual vertical and eventually the powered vertical antennae, the radio was able to get a much stronger signal. A strong signal is necessary for the radio because they are very cheap and don't have a high signal-to-noise ratio. Modern radios are much better and can work with weaker signals.
    Well, when I first purchased my car and had the windshield replaced by DMCFL, I lost the original, built in a antenna for an autozone-grade retractable antenna. The reception of course was awful. I had an accident a few years later when I replaced my roof box with Ed's stainless replacement. So I cut out the windshield and drove over to DMCH. After a talk with Stephen Wynne, I found out they had finally reproduced the windshield with antenna. Fast forward a year, and the reception is arguably better than the ugly retractable antenna that I tore back out.

The following is taken from here.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC Houston
    The exact point in which the factory stopped fitting the cars with windshields that had embedded antennas is somewhere around VIN 2700, but we know there are lots of cars still out there with their original "antenna" windshields... We artfully improved the layout of the embedded wire and used a modern material for said wire to improve radio reception, too!
    Anyways, I have no intention of highjacking this thread any further. I'm just trying to correct the information for new owners of early vin cars.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    3028

My car has a windshield antenna with VIN 3028
    Barry

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

My car has an original windshield antenna and the reception is pretty bad. I was about to go to the trouble of installing the retractable antenna in the rear, when I decided to give this a shot: https://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Amplif...FM+car+antenna

For $10 I figured it was definitely worth the gamble. Every now and then I get a little static coming in, but it's a huge improvement. I have one installed in my Opel GT as well. Both cars have them stuck up underneath the dash out of sight. You'd never know they were there. I still tell people at shows about the windshield antenna as a piece of trivia, even though its not actually in use.

What a bizarre tangent for this thread to take, especially considering it's specifically for an '83.

Trying to rebuild my rear brake calipers. The outer seal was too tall to fit in the groove of the piston. I cut the seals down to fit into the groove, ruined one. I'm not sure if my pistons have been replaced or the kit is wrong. Part #Centric 143.90002. Sucks, I can't just run to NAPA and grab a kit. I called those idiots and told them it was a 1983 Delorean and the moron asks "Who makes that?". Just once I would like to get revenge on parts store idiots. Those retards have screwed me so many times and there is no repercussion for them. I ordered a kit from DMC Midwest, double the price. It better be right.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I would think as long as they're the stock calipers, the kit otta be the right one.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

I don't think my rear calipers are Girling. I didn't notice the G marking on the caliper.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
    I don't think my rear calipers are Girling. I didn't notice the G marking on the caliper.
    Can you post a picture of your calipers, or do they look similar to this?

image.jpeg

image.jpg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

I'll post pics tomorrow. Yes, they look similar if not identical. I did notice that the piston seal seamed a bit loose when installed on the caliper body. When you install the retaining ring a small amount of rubber bunches up as if the diameter of the seal is too big for the caliper.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It is possible the pistons were replaced with non-stock pistons and the stock seals will no longer fit properly. If the kit you get from DMCMW doesn't fit you will have to replace the pistons. Never a good idea to modify brake parts to try to make them fit. Should take this to another thread about brake calipers.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
    I'll post pics tomorrow. Yes, they look similar if not identical. I did notice that the piston seal seamed a bit loose when installed on the caliper body. When you install the retaining ring a small amount of rubber bunches up as if the diameter of the seal is too big for the caliper.
    OK. Yes, the retaining ring and the seal should be a precise fit to the caliper body (and to the piston) similar to this:

image.jpg

(If the pistons look odd/different, I replaced them with the stainless steel versions. They are exactly the same size as the stock ones.)
    Last edited by DMC-81; 09-22-2017 at 09:01 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast