FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought an 83, Lots of questions

The car is in the middle of my shop. I'm not going to wait to move it. I can always redo the calipers when I have them coated this winter. I simply cut the rubber seal to fit into the groove of the piston. It wasn't a major modification. I know exactly what I'm doing, as I rebuild transmissions all day. David T, you are an annoying know-it-all. Don't post on my threads again. I see why other members can't stand you.

DMC-1 I know my retaining rings and seals didn't look as nice as yours. The rubber was bunched up in one spot and the ends of the retaining rings didn't meet perfectly like yours. Who made calipers for these cars besides Girling?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
    DMC-1 I know my retaining rings and seals didn't look as nice as yours. The rubber was bunched up in one spot and the ends of the retaining rings didn't meet perfectly like yours. Who made calipers for these cars besides Girling?
    If I'm not mistaken, the rear calipers were also used on a 1980's Jaguar, but the piston size was smaller. I don't know if Girling also made those.

If you haven't seen it, here is a parts crossover list: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?93...Crossover-List and here is a thread specifically about brakes: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?27...ross-reference

Honestly though, with few exceptions, I've had better luck buying most parts from a Delorean vendor. But, I recommend doing some research on them on this forum as some are hit and miss. I bought my seal kits from a Delorean vendor. I'm sure the ones from DMC will be right, given stock calipers.

Some parts are just as easily obtained at an Auto Parts store.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 09-22-2017 at 10:24 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    4519

Here are pics of my rears when I rebuilt them, there's a pretty good view of the seal & ring:

IMG_1204.jpgIMG_1205.jpgIMG_1206.jpg

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

When I post I don't know the OP's capabilities. In general it is not good practice for anyone to modify brake parts as a general rule. This is an open forum and anyone can post to any thread once you are a member. It is up to the reader if he wants to read any particular post. No one "owns" a thread except the moderators. This kind of thread is best placed in the "general" section anyway where most of the technical stuff is. Over here the rules are a bit looser as to what is posted.
    Last edited by David T; 09-23-2017 at 02:51 PM.
    David Teitelbaum

Thank you again, David T. for your valuable insight and expert advise. Here is a pic of the piston that I removed from my caliper. The seal that was installed had a smaller lip that fit in the groove perfectly. The seals that came in the Centric kit have a bigger lip that I had to cut down to fit into the groove.IMG_20170923_084056318[1].jpg

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Those pistons look good...there is no pitting. They almost look stainless. Here is a picture of mine before installation if you want to compare the profiles.

image.jpg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Ha! I soaked everything in rust soak, stuff works great. Too bad you can't get a measurement on the groove. I'll measure mine tomorrow.

My VIN:    4519

A few more pics from when I rebuilt my rear brakes.

Centric kit on an OEM piston:

IMG_1119.jpg

Pitted OEM pistons, I might still have one of these if you need a measurement:

100_5015.jpg

OEM piston compared w/ a crossover piston:

IMG_1194.jpg IMG_1192.jpg

Yes, measure the groove

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast