FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought an 83, Lots of questions

Duh! This is common practice for any car. I bought the car online from over a 1000 miles away and the seller purposely lied about the condition. I got a fair price so I'm not too upset. I have my own shop and rebuild transmissions for a living so I am more than capable. I'm just not familiar with the quirks of this vehicle. I was simply warning others because the seller claimed he sold other Deloreans and may sell more in the future.

I don't whine, I suck it up and fix other idiots' mistakes, on a daily basis. That's what I do and the Delorean is no different. I knew it would have issues. I'll handle them.I'm also a bodyman I can share info on restoration of parts that many will find useful. I see a lot of people on this forum painting over rust with spray can paint, big no-no. I have access to a powder coating company too, which I will be using as well.

I'm also looking for the two interior A-pillar trim pieces. Does anybody have these? The windshield must be removed to install these?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
    I'm also looking for the two interior A-pillar trim pieces. Does anybody have these? The windshield must be removed to install these?
    No, you can remove the pieces without removing the windshield. I took my DS out several years ago to fix a warp. If I recall, it just snaps in place using metal clips pushed on the plastic tabs (again it's been awhile) and if I am correct, those tabs are most likely prone to break after 30 years so be gentle.

As far as the previous posts go, let's just say DT has a firm grasp on the obvious.
    Last edited by Michael; 09-17-2017 at 02:58 PM.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Only early cars can be serviced this way. All late cars are glued beneath the glass. Windscreen needs replaced for this.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    Only early cars can be serviced this way. All late cars are glued beneath the glass. Windscreen needs replaced for this.
    Josh, is it just the covering that's underneath the glass or part of the panel itself? I do remember using a thin blade to carefully tuck my covering back into place under the glass, but that was it.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Josh, is it just the covering that's underneath the glass or part of the panel itself? I do remember using a thin blade to carefully tuck my covering back into place under the glass, but that was it.
    Not the backing just the material is stretched and glued halfway across the windscreen surface. When the glass is installed urethane covers this edge and the exposed fiberglass.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I've been talking with Toby about the A pillars myself, since mine are seriously warped and need replacing...getting them out (at least on mine), I had to cut the vinyl (that hadnt already peeled out) along the window edge to get them out.....getting new ones in might be a challenge, since they are bonded under the windsheild...and taking the windsheild out is a risky thing cause you could end up breaking it.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    I've been talking with Toby about the A pillars myself, since mine are seriously warped and need replacing...getting them out (at least on mine), I had to cut the vinyl (that hadnt already peeled out) along the window edge to get them out.....getting new ones in might be a challenge, since they are bonded under the windsheild...and taking the windsheild out is a risky thing cause you could end up breaking it.
    I used a heat gun to straighten mine

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I started with a heat gun on mine but one is severely warped and it was being obstinant..lol...I may revisit them later, just to give me something to do until I can get the parts I need to move forward on other parts
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast