Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 113

Thread: Just bought an 83, Lots of questions

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date:  Sep 2017

    Posts:    34

    Duh! This is common practice for any car. I bought the car online from over a 1000 miles away and the seller purposely lied about the condition. I got a fair price so I'm not too upset. I have my own shop and rebuild transmissions for a living so I am more than capable. I'm just not familiar with the quirks of this vehicle. I was simply warning others because the seller claimed he sold other Deloreans and may sell more in the future.

  2. #32
    Member
    Join Date:  Sep 2017

    Posts:    34

    I don't whine, I suck it up and fix other idiots' mistakes, on a daily basis. That's what I do and the Delorean is no different. I knew it would have issues. I'll handle them.I'm also a bodyman I can share info on restoration of parts that many will find useful. I see a lot of people on this forum painting over rust with spray can paint, big no-no. I have access to a powder coating company too, which I will be using as well.

  3. #33
    Member
    Join Date:  Sep 2017

    Posts:    34

    I'm also looking for the two interior A-pillar trim pieces. Does anybody have these? The windshield must be removed to install these?

  4. #34
    Not really banned Michael's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    2,983

    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
    I'm also looking for the two interior A-pillar trim pieces. Does anybody have these? The windshield must be removed to install these?
    No, you can remove the pieces without removing the windshield. I took my DS out several years ago to fix a warp. If I recall, it just snaps in place using metal clips pushed on the plastic tabs (again it's been awhile) and if I am correct, those tabs are most likely prone to break after 30 years so be gentle.

    As far as the previous posts go, let's just say DT has a firm grasp on the obvious.
    Last edited by Michael; 09-17-2017 at 02:58 PM.

  5. #35
    President, DeLorean Industries
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  CLE/PHX

    Posts:    2,260

    My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

    Only early cars can be serviced this way. All late cars are glued beneath the glass. Windscreen needs replaced for this.

  6. #36
    Not really banned Michael's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    2,983

    Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    Only early cars can be serviced this way. All late cars are glued beneath the glass. Windscreen needs replaced for this.
    Josh, is it just the covering that's underneath the glass or part of the panel itself? I do remember using a thin blade to carefully tuck my covering back into place under the glass, but that was it.

  7. #37
    President, DeLorean Industries
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  CLE/PHX

    Posts:    2,260

    My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Josh, is it just the covering that's underneath the glass or part of the panel itself? I do remember using a thin blade to carefully tuck my covering back into place under the glass, but that was it.
    Not the backing just the material is stretched and glued halfway across the windscreen surface. When the glass is installed urethane covers this edge and the exposed fiberglass.

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jul 2015

    Location:  Tacoma, Wa

    Posts:    1,631

    My VIN:    4877

    I've been talking with Toby about the A pillars myself, since mine are seriously warped and need replacing...getting them out (at least on mine), I had to cut the vinyl (that hadnt already peeled out) along the window edge to get them out.....getting new ones in might be a challenge, since they are bonded under the windsheild...and taking the windsheild out is a risky thing cause you could end up breaking it.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Now Accepting Donations to get her back on the road

  9. #39
    Not really banned Michael's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    2,983

    Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    I've been talking with Toby about the A pillars myself, since mine are seriously warped and need replacing...getting them out (at least on mine), I had to cut the vinyl (that hadnt already peeled out) along the window edge to get them out.....getting new ones in might be a challenge, since they are bonded under the windsheild...and taking the windsheild out is a risky thing cause you could end up breaking it.
    I used a heat gun to straighten mine

  10. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jul 2015

    Location:  Tacoma, Wa

    Posts:    1,631

    My VIN:    4877

    I started with a heat gun on mine but one is severely warped and it was being obstinant..lol...I may revisit them later, just to give me something to do until I can get the parts I need to move forward on other parts
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Now Accepting Donations to get her back on the road

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •