FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are DeLorean rims the WORST rims on the planet to clean?!

I will note that I was having a conversation with DPI Josh (Or DI Josh now? He dropped "performance" a while back) on the rims already. They're aluminum, but painted. Why? To avoid corrosion. ChrisFix has a video on redoing the wheels to fix imperfections and clear coat the bare aluminum.

Our cars are bare stainless, I can't imagine it would look anything short of amazing. Worth a try at this point.

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    I will note that I was having a conversation with DPI Josh on the rims already. They're aluminum, but painted. Why? To avoid corrosion. ChrisFix has a video on redoing the wheels to fix imperfections and clear coat the bare aluminum.

Our cars are bare stainless, I can't imagine it would look anything short of amazing. Worth a try at this point.
    These have been available from the vendors for probably 15 years, though I'm not sure any currently offer them. They are called machine finish or lathe finish wheels. Some shops make them look more polished & shiny, others have a more matte look. I go back and forth on what I think of these. The main issue is that they don't match the color & sheen of the stainless. I suspect that's why the factory painted the wheels & more or less matched them to the fascias (the early cars had dark fascias & wheels, and the later cars had lighter fascias and wheels). After all, they couldn't get the fascias to match the stainless either, which is why I suspect they more or less color keyed the fascias and wheels to match each other.
    Louie Golden

That's true, I had forgotten about that. Although it's far easier to color match metal than plastic. Might be a perfectionist type of thing, but I'm not sure aluminum unpainted wheels were common until at least the turn of the century if memory serves, which might explain why.

DeLorean stainless is just an oddly colored metal to begin with. I think Rich W had issues when doing the limo and needing to color match new metal to the original metal, if I read right on PJ Grady UK. Wonder if Chris Nicholson would know more about how color matching would even work...

My VIN:    10201

I've wondered what the rim would look like and if itd be easier to clean with every other fin was machined off, but I just tried photoshopping it and it looks like there are an odd amount of fins making my idea impossible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2