FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are DeLorean rims the WORST rims on the planet to clean?!

My VIN:    10515

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Exclamation Are DeLorean rims the WORST rims on the planet to clean?!

UGH! I'm Plasti Dipping my rims to see how well they stand up, how they look, etc., and you have to make sure that the surface is CLEAN!

Well... the front rim was... okay. Not too hard. But the back rim. AWFUL! With a 1700PSI pressure washer, Eagle Wheel & Tire Cleaner (3 times!) and multiple sprays (focused between each fin!) - I just could not get the inside corners clean!

I had to use a cloth and my pinky finger to dig down to each corner to get it clean. UGH!

I really do love to look/design of the rims on the car... but WHAT A PAIN TO CLEAN!!

I don't suppose someone has figured out, or found a product or tool that makes it any easier to clean the rims perfectly other than dipping the whole rim in acid! lol)

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

I found in order to deep clean, a microfiber cloth wrapped around a wooden paint stirrer (with a squarish end) and your favorite/appropriate wheel cleaner provided enough leverage to scrub the build up of grime off the fins, especially in those corners.

After they are clean, you can use a nylon brush like the one that DMC franchises carry to keep them that way.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    03500

Go to autozone get a lug nut brush 5 or 6 bucks. It has 3 little brushes on it you gust pull one back and go to town, works great. Picked up break dust shealds from deloreango 103 bucks. They look and work great.

Dave B.

My VIN:    05457

Once clean, dust shields will help keep them that way. I haven't bought a set yet, but they are on my list for the near future:
    https://www.deloreango.com/us/brake-...l-shields.html
    David Proehl

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

In the 1990s my dad had a Chrysler Lebaron - I hated cleaning those wheels.
    chrysler-lebaron-rims-1566-b.jpg

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    First 700

Did everything in the 90's come with fake BBS wheels

If you are going to coat them why not take them to get media (soda) blasted? Heck, a shop could also powder-coat them too. Last thing I had done was a manifold and I think it was like $40. $200 for new looking wheels might not be too bad. I know you most likely desire some exotic pinkish color. Maybe a tie-die hydro-grafic or zebra stripes. Then get one of them zebra head costumes to wear with some 80's Zubaz pants. That would be totally RAD man.

My VIN:    10084

I had mine ceramic coated after they were powder coated. Ceramic coating makes clean up a breeze. Brake dust just washes off with a garden hose.
    Michael Todd
    St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by dtavres View Post
    With a 1700PSI pressure washer, Eagle Wheel & Tire Cleaner (3 times!) and multiple sprays (focused between each fin!) - I just could not get the inside corners clean!
    Well no shit, you forced the dirt into every tiny pore and crevice with the insane amount of pressure you used on it. It's like throwing Niagara Falls at a rubber ducky and complaining when you can't remove it from the 50-foot crater in your yard you just created with it. Pressure washers are best kept for materials that require it, like concrete, brick, etc. I'd be very surprised if you didn't need to repaint your rims as a whole after that amount of pressure.

(I'm not mocking you here by the way, re-reading that part it came across harshly, more or less using a descriptive metaphor to illustrate the problem in the approach, my apologies if that was insulting!)

BTW, YouTube is an excellent resource for this kind of thing. ChrisFix has lots of cleaning tips, and while he doesn't strictly cover wheels, much of what he goes over can be applied to it. The engine bay video especially. It doesn't take much to properly clean a car, so if you're putting a lot of effort and it isn't coming clean, rethink the approach. Dirt didn't take that much effort to get on the car, why should it take magnitudes more to remove it?

Interesting. ChrisFix uses a pressure washer in his cleaning video. However, he does mention specific precautions as he's demonstrating the pressure washer.

"If it hurts your hand, it's too high pressure" is what ChrisFix uses as a metric. 1700 PSI is well beyond that threshold, and I strongly suspect a nozzle was used that increased pressure even further. My Karcher pressure washer is in the 500 PSI range, and I can get it to sting easily.

Pressure washers can be used, but it's important to alleviate the pressure with a proper nozzle. Flat-style guys are great at this, and adjustable too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast