FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Do you really want to Live the Dream?

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    And maybe I'll be able to use that HEY HE LS SWAPPED A DELOREAN attention as a way of breaking out of my inversion.
    I guarantee that it will at least change the pH level of your encounters.

My experience around here is that DeLoreans are very polarizing. Mostly positive but I've had some real negative reactions at car shows or even randomly around town. I assume its because internet said it's a slow, 4-ton aluminum drugmobile that falls apart with regularity. Or JZD's perceived reputation here in Michigan.

When I started showing up to shows & car meets after turbo conversion it seems like I get a lot less of that. An LS swap is bound to win over even more of the "embroidered white polo tucked in to my really-blue-blue-jeans/shorts" crowd, aka the Corvette season is upon us meme.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

That is a nice accurate summary of ownership, and elegantly told. Nice work Michael! I enjoyed the subsequent stories shared as well.

As for me, I came into ownership by looking for a sports car to restore and then to show/ enjoy. I started my journey by taking a mental short list of my favorite cars from decades past, and then doing a logical assessment of parts availability and cost, the relative difficulty of restoration, and the target car's desirability.

Only after going through this investigative process did I realize that owning a DeLorean is a realistic possibility. I already knew that they were a rare exotic, and an orphan. But I thought those factors would also make it either impossible or very difficult to actually own and restore. I didn't realize that you can still get parts, and from more than one vendor!

So, I selected the DeLorean, and became excited to acquire one. I read about some of the flaws and made addressing them part of my restoration goal of "Mostly correct, but with flaws addressed".

Flashback to 1985: I went to and loved the BTTF movies and, in fact, the first one is what introduced me to the car. When it rolled out of the back of that truck, I thought "Wow, what kind of car is THAT!!" It actually gave me goosebumps. Of course I had my question answered a few seconds later. I didn't eventually lust after a Time Machine conversion, but the real car entered my universe as a rare exotic.

Almost 30 years later, when got mine, I started to understand the effect this car has on people from all ages and backgrounds. It started when my car rolled out of the back of the delivery transport truck in my neighborhood, when the first car passing by stopped in the middle of the intersection and 4 people got out, very excited/shocked to see the car. One of them reverently exclaimed "Oh my God, it's actually a DELOREAN!!" It continued as I worked on the car in my garage. I met some of my neighbors for the first time because they were walking by and were jolted out of their routine, drawn towards the car and to stop and ask questions and converse.

It continues EVERY time I open the garage or drive the car. As much as we think it forces us to be more social, (and it definitely does), it also draws the admirers to strike up a conversation with a total stranger (us) to ask their questions and offer their comments. Sure, it is easy for some, but my 30 years of people leadership tell me that for some, it isn't easy. I think perhaps thats where some of the awkward comments come from. I'm not an extrovert, but I take ample time to talk with these awestruck admirers.

When I was a kid, the C4 Corvette and the Porsche dominated my bedroom walls. With hard work and good decisions, I was eventually able to buy the C4, a Porsche, and then the C5. But I also eventually sold them. As exciting as they were to dream about and own, the passion diminished and it just became an old car, especially in the case of the Corvette, when the C6 and then C7 came out. For me, the passion didn't transfer to the next generation.

The DeLorean is different. It is a classic, it is rare, it is an exotic, it is a celebrity, and it IS a time machine in that it takes me back to my favorite decade... cassettes and all. I didn't count on all this when I went through my logical checklist of cars to restore. But it guided me to my dream car.

So, in that sense, yes, I'm happily living the dream.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    4519

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

So far the only part of the dream I've lived is owning one..well ok 90% or so...I dont have to worry about people making weird comments, cause it's been hidden away...

The few times on the trip up here that folks wandered up and started conersations i kinda enjoyed, even though I'm not a big people person..lol.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    That is a nice accurate summary of ownership, and elegantly told. Nice work Michael! I enjoyed the subsequent stories shared as well.

As for me, I came into ownership by looking for a sports car to restore and then to show/ enjoy. I started my journey by taking a mental short list of my favorite cars from decades past, and then doing a logical assessment of parts availability and cost, the relative difficulty of restoration, and the target car's desirability.

Only after going through this investigative process did I realize that owning a DeLorean is a realistic possibility. I already knew that they were a rare exotic, and an orphan. But I thought those factors would also make it either impossible or very difficult to actually own and restore. I didn't realize that you can still get parts, and from more than one vendor!

So, I selected the DeLorean, and became excited to acquire one. I read about some of the flaws and made addressing them part of my restoration goal of "Mostly correct, but with flaws addressed".

Flashback to 1985: I went to and loved the BTTF movies and, in fact, the first one is what introduced me to the car. When it rolled out of the back of that truck, I thought "Wow, what kind of car is THAT!!" It actually gave me goosebumps. Of course I had my question answered a few seconds later. I didn't eventually lust after a Time Machine conversion, but the real car entered my universe as a rare exotic.

Almost 30 years later, when got mine, I started to understand the effect this car has on people from all ages and backgrounds. It started when my car rolled out of the back of the delivery transport truck in my neighborhood, when the first car passing by stopped in the middle of the intersection and 4 people got out, very excited/shocked to see the car. One of them reverently exclaimed "Oh my God, it's actually a DELOREAN!!" It continued as I worked on the car in my garage. I met some of my neighbors for the first time because they were walking by and were jolted out of their routine, drawn towards the car and to stop and ask questions and converse.

It continues EVERY time I open the garage or drive the car. As much as we think it forces us to be more social, (and it definitely does), it also draws the admirers to strike up a conversation with a total stranger (us) to ask their questions and offer their comments. Sure, it is easy for some, but my 30 years of people leadership tell me that for some, it isn't easy. I think perhaps thats where some of the awkward comments come from. I'm not an extrovert, but I take ample time to talk with these awestruck admirers.

When I was a kid, the C4 Corvette and the Porsche dominated my bedroom walls. With hard work and good decisions, I was eventually able to buy the C4, a Porsche, and then the C5. But I also eventually sold them. As exciting as they were to dream about and own, the passion diminished and it just became an old car, especially in the case of the Corvette, when the C6 and then C7 came out. For me, the passion didn't transfer to the next generation.

The DeLorean is different. It is a classic, it is rare, it is an exotic, it is a celebrity, and it IS a time machine in that it takes me back to my favorite decade... cassettes and all. I didn't count on all this when I went through my logical checklist of cars to restore. But it guided me to my dream car.

So, in that sense, yes, I'm happily living the dream.

I can relate to this story. While rebuilding mine I had a lot of interesting drive by salutes. I had people do full on brake checks in front of the house for pictures. Cars would stop and reverse back to see the car. I have met most of my neighbors because of the car. I've only been driving it for 100 miles. I've learned to be ready for anything. A 10 year came up to me at lowes and asked what year I was from. Everyone has something whitty to say.

Awesome member

My VIN:    5292

I'm no attention-seeker, but I have to admit, I love the way the car draws it. It's not about me - people (most of them - there's always a few haters out there) just love the car. A couple of examples (and after only a year, I could give you dozens, as you all well know)...
    I was at a Wendy's for lunch shortly after I bought my D, and a kid about 8 years old asked his dad in all seriousness, "Is that a spy car?" The dad laughed and told me it was time to show his son a few movies.
    A month or so ago I was being interviewed by the local newspaper about the car; the reporter and I were sitting at a sidewalk cafe in our little town's downtown area, talking about the car which was parked right in front of us; a box truck rolls by and a woman about 30 almost jumps out the passenger window waving and yelling, "DeLorean!!!" I just smiled at the reporter and said, "That's what happens all the time."

I'm going to be sad when winter rolls around and I have to pack my D away for 6 months because owning a DeLorean is a dream come true!

Why pack it away...when mine is finally road ready, I plan to drive it all year...and yeah even in snow
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Why pack it away...when mine is finally road ready, I plan to drive it all year...and yeah even in snow
    I hope you have a stainless steel frame then.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

They dont salt the roads here
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa