FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sudden high temp on gauge.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    When you replace the thermostat make sure it has a "jiggle pin". It is important. It allows you to bleed air out of the system. If it doesn't have it you can still use the thermostat, just drill a 1/16" hole in it to pass air. Better to get the right one with the pin in the first place though. The gasket is a cut, square "O" ring. It fits AROUND the thermostat, NOT under or over it. Only use the correct parts.
    He has a Chevy 350 installed. The thermostat may not have the square O-ring like the PRV does.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You are right, of course. I mention it for the majority of the owners in this forum because they do. As for this particular conversion, he knows what he has and has to do. He *could* have a bad thermostat, that info is still valid for him.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    07000

So I tried several things - put more coolant in, no luck Replaced the thermostat, and at first it did get liquid to the otterstat, but the fans still wouldn't come on until 220 - and so I let the engine cool off for a while, removed the thermostat housing plug to see if the thermostat was working, and it was, but not a lot of liquid would come up from the engine. So I put it back on, let the engine cool down again, put more coolant and water in the radiator, tried again, released the plug a little to let any air out- it did for a while, engine got really hot, fans didn't come on till 230 now.
    So I left the engine off to let out any more air from the plug.
    Replaced the otterstat, tried again, and noticed the hose above the thermostat was getting hot, but it was cool in the otterstat pipe. So I took off the hose and checked for blockage - none. Took out the thermostat and then took the plug out to watch, and this time the water just stayed in the engine - never came up and out.

I'm guessing it's a bad pump - it does spin on the outside just fine, but typically a bad water pump would leak before it just stops.. unless the impeller inside just came loose.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Timebender; 09-18-2017 at 08:09 PM.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Shot in the dark - Take the cap off the coolant bottle and watch for if the coolant circulates?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Shot in the dark - Take the cap off the coolant bottle and watch for if the coolant circulates?
    That's exactly the test. Take the cap off (cold), start the engine, and look inside the bottle where the bleed hose attaches. You should be able to see water spraying out of the hose. With some design metal bottles you can't see it, but you can stick your finger in there and feel it (not to hot when you first start the car, but DO NOT do this if it's been running a while.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

The impeller could have come loose, the blades could be worn off, the belt could be spinning it backwards, all things you should check. You have to make sure all of the air is out, you may need to drill a 1/16" hole in the stat so air can pass. Check that the suction hose has a spring in it so it can't collapse under vacuum. The otterstat switch should be at a lower temp than the thermostat so once the thermostat opens and the hot coolant hits the switch the fans will go on.
    David Teitelbaum

When you replace the thermostat make sure it has a "jiggle pin". It is important. It allows you to bleed air out of the system. If it doesn't have it you can still use the thermostat, just drill a 1/16" hole in it to pass air. Better to get the right one with the pin in the first place though. The gasket is a cut, square "O" ring. It fits AROUND the thermostat, NOT under or over it. Only use the correct parts.
    I ended up getting a 180 thermostat, one of the nicer Standt ones - I'll have to see if it has the jiggle pin, and of not, I'll add a little hole on my press.

The impeller could have come loose, the blades could be worn off, the belt could be spinning it backwards, all things you should check. You have to make sure all of the air is out, you may need to drill a 1/16" hole in the stat so air can pass. Check that the suction hose has a spring in it so it can't collapse under vacuum. The otterstat switch should be at a lower temp than the thermostat so once the thermostat opens and the hot coolant hits the switch the fans will go on.
    I actually took the spring out of the hose that goes from the engine to the otterstat pipe, as it was badly rusted and collapsing inside, plus the tube is pretty old and worn looking. I took it to a local parts store - Carquest, and they couldn't find a match. Any idea where i can get a new one? They had one that was close, but it was much longer, and when I try to go around the engine to get to the metal pipe, it crimps at the curve.

So I did everything that was recommended - added water into the engine until it bubbled up with the thermostat off, drilled a hole (1/16th) in the thermostat, ran water down the return pipe until the radiator overflowed, then put a hose in the radiator and ran the engine. This time it ran cool for a while, then the fan came on at the 220 mark (that was good), but the temp just kept climbing anyway, the fan having little to no effect.

Tomorrow I'll do an oil change and see if that does it - and yes, replaced the radiator cap too.

I'm baffled at this point. At least I know my water pump is working.

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    So I did everything that was recommended - added water into the engine until it bubbled up with the thermostat off, drilled a hole (1/16th) in the thermostat, ran water down the return pipe until the radiator overflowed, then put a hose in the radiator and ran the engine. This time it ran cool for a while, then the fan came on at the 220 mark (that was good), but the temp just kept climbing anyway, the fan having little to no effect.

Tomorrow I'll do an oil change and see if that does it - and yes, replaced the radiator cap too.

I'm baffled at this point. At least I know my water pump is working.
    The oil change should not make any difference. Make sure the suction hose is not kinked or collapsing when it gets hot. Get a spring in it.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast