FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Deep breath... Let the fun begin #1051 has a new owner

Deep breath... Let the fun begin #1051 has a new owner

Last weekend I bought #1051. I was told that it has not been driven since it encountered a clutch issue in 2006. Prior to that it ran fine. I am wanting to properly take it out of hibernation. Has anybody documented the preferred steps? When I bought the car a previous owner painted it. That as you know can be a double edged sword. It appears that the driver side fender is not too bad and is repairable. From what I have stripped it appears that it might have been in a mild hail storm. The great news is that when the paint was applied between April of 1981 and July 11th of 1986 which is when the title is dated the stainless was not etched properly so the primer didn't stick and the paint flakes off.

What I am looking for are the detailed steps to properly get the engine running. I have read a few online but have not yet found a comprehensive guide that I can use. Any help would be greatly appreciated. That way I can alternate from a day stripping and then a day waking it up. It appears mine is completely stock complete with stainless exhaust.

Feel free to email me directly at [email protected]
    Attached Images

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Welcome to the forum David! This is definitely the place for getting the car back on the road!

Thanks for posting photos of the car; aside from the paint job, it looks really good. Especially the engine and the interior; looks clean enough to have run recently. And for being in Arizona, the interior doesn't look baked or cracked at all. Any idea why it's got a later non-gasflap hood?

Has it always been an Arizona car? If so, your frame is probably pretty good.

Hopefully if it was just a clutch issue, getting the car on the road again shouldn't be too difficult. Hydraulics can be repaired in a day, and a clutch swap can be done in a weekend.

There are quite a few good threads here about people removing paint. It's practically become a science here. Folks have used soda blasting, chemical stripping, sanding, etc. Whatever method you want to do, there's probably at least one thread on it. And if it's already flaking off, it will probably be pretty easy. It will be tedious, but hopefully pretty straightforward. Here's hoping it's clean under the paint. Anyway, again welcome

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Welcome to the forum, and congratulation on your purchase