FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Warning: Houston doesn't list whether parts are backordered on their website......

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Glad this is resolved!

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    Cliff,
    We were re-tooling the outer door seals with our supplier to take advantage of a recently discovered original DMC engineering drawing of an improved design that came after the factory receivership and therefore were never produced. We liked the look of the design and decided it to put it into production as a DMC exclusive part.
    James, I'm intrigued about the "new door seal design" that you spoke of. Is it a significant change to the shape of cross section or what?

I'm also curious if you've found any other non-implemented improved designs from the factory (mainly for historical and curiosities sake).

My VIN:    4 Seater DMC24

Club(s):   (DMA)

In the latter, where DeLorean-specific slower moving items are out of stock, we will *almost* always mark it as unavailable, as sometimes we may have a refurbished or "take-off" part that we can offer them that will suit their immediate need.
    Just want to say on this point, James & Crystal @ DMCH have been great at finding me some unavailable parts I needed for my car over the past couple of years, and also Sarah went over and above by providing me some detailed frame measurements I needed to use as a reference for my car - thanks!

My VIN:    5368

Actually, the shocks arrived today. These are made in the UK and between the supplier's summer shutdown and two Hurricanes, shipping was delayed on a couple of different fronts.

The issue is that unlike an internet only parts seller - we take and fulfill orders via phone, email, walk-ins, supply retail customers (owners and independent shops) and our dealers. Finally, we also have a service department - currently with 40+ DeLoreans in for service. When our e-commerce and inventory management/order fulfillment systems were put in place in 2007 (!) there wasn't a cost-effective method (based on the size of our company) to interface the "offline" system with the "online" system. Solutions that have been presented to do so at this time are still very kludgy based on our legacy systems.

Unlike any other internet-based DeLorean parts sellers we have more than 3,500 different part numbers in a 40,000 square foot warehouse in total quantities that exceed 3,000,000 individual parts. Not a couple hundred parts/part numbers in the spare room or basement of our home.

Faster moving items are sometimes out of stock for a few days to a few weeks based on supplier lead times. Slower moving or DeLorean-specific items can take longer based on the fact that no DeLorean parts seller is ANY supplier's best customer. In many cases, we are fortunate that suppliers are even willing to deal in these low volume parts.

In the former, where faster moving items are temporarily out of stock, we leave it as showing "in stock" in order to give us a chance to contact the customer and explain the delay and then give them to option to cancel or accept a slower delivery time.

In the latter, where DeLorean-specific slower moving items are out of stock, we will *almost* always mark it as unavailable, as sometimes we may have a refurbished or "take-off" part that we can offer them that will suit their immediate need.

Sometimes regardless of how well we plan in order to avoid being out of stock based on historical sales levels, if a supplier has to find a place in their schedule to put our "small run" of parts, that may increase their lead time based on their other, larger, customers needs. A good example is the supplier from whom we just purchased 2,000 window switches (their minimum order!) - they had to fit us around their summer shutdown and find a small enough hole in their production schedule to change out the tooling for this small run of components.

Lastly, the service department here will take parts from inventory to put on a car - these parts become part of a "work in progress" that doesn't affect inventory levels until the complete job is invoiced. If a restoration takes 2-4 months or longer, that can really throw inventory counts out of whack, as well.

Earlier this year we entered into an agreement with a new software provider that tightly integrates "online" and "offline" orders with a new inventory management and order fulfillment solution. It also introduces a new solution for the 'work in progress" problem just discussed. This has great promise to resolve these issues that you describe as "live" inventory levels - potentially for Texas and other dealers - will be represented on the site. There are many other new features that we'll be rolling out as part of this including a "rewards" program that will be of interest to many, I expect.

The timeline for this roll-out was originally October 1st. The first warehouse-wide inventory of all the parts since literally 1983 (!) is underway now and that has delayed this implementation. If the final testing runs too much closer to November (and the holiday shopping season) we will push back the implementation until the first of the year 2018.

Please feel free to call (800-872-3621) or email me ([email protected]) with questions.
    I'm looking into ordering this myself but can you confirm that if all 4 shocks are adjustable and what adjustments can be made? (height or just soft/hard ride settings)
    Thanks James..
    Vin 5368. October 81 Grey Manual

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
    I'm looking into ordering this myself but can you confirm that if all 4 shocks are adjustable and what adjustments can be made? (height or just soft/hard ride settings)
    Thanks James..
    Hi. I'll leave it to James to confirm if necessary, but I have these particular performance shocks and I can tell you that all 4 have soft/hard ride settings via a dial that has 16 or 17 settings. I think I counted 17 clicks. The rear shocks also have ride a height adjustment. I have had them installed for 2 years and IMO they are great quality. I highly recommend them.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Here's my thoughts on this.

If it's not currently in stock, either list it as out of stock or put a note that says "CALL FOR AVAILABILITY". Listing it as in stock so people will pay for it when it's not there isn't right.

Second, if someone orders multiple items and says "wait till it's all in stock", that doesn't mean sell all of item A that you have, then when item B comes in, sell all of those, then wait until A and B are both there before sending the order out.

What should have happened is my shocks should have been put aside as soon as I ordered them, and not sold or shipped to anyone else. Then when the rest of the parts I was waiting on came in, it should have shipped.

It sounds like you were doing the former, and that's why it took so long - I was left holding the bag waiting for the magic moment that both items were in stock.

If it's paid for, set it aside. Don't sell it. Don't ship it to someone else. If it's not in stock, don't list it as in stock. If it's not in stock, be realistic about when you expect it to be in stock.

My shocks are finally installed and I'm happy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2