FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: chirping noise that goes away when i press the brakes.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by RamblinDMC View Post
    The right ones? As far as I know, a spring is a spring. I don't think any manufacturer out there is producing a spring specifically engineered for DeLorean brake calipers.
    They're not. Just Dave trying to look smart again.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by novadmc View Post
    thanks! at least its not something to worry about and im not going crazy.
    this afternoon i pulled both front tires off, cleaned the brakes and rotors with some brake clean and then re-greased the sides of the pads, the pins, retaining clips and retentions springs. prior to this, everything was bone dry with no lubrication on the contact points. ill take the car for a drive tomorrow and see if that helps the squeak at all.

on the bright side, ive got plenty of pad and rotor life left and took notes on what i want to replace for my eventual suspension upgrades.
    i should do the same to the rears. maybe tomorrow or later in the month...
    Are all the pieces of the anti-rattle clip kit in there how they're supposed to be, including the shims?

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?61...p-installation

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

What you probably have is not really "ceramic". If it was you would have no grip when cold or wet and it would have chewed up your rotors. Many manufacturers use that term but it is not "ceramic". They use it on the box so they can charge more for the pads. Examine the pads. You should find 2 letters on it somewhere indicating it's true grip. Look for EE or FF or something similar. That will tell you what you really have. As for springs, they come in all diameters, lengths and coil diameters. If you get one that has a coil diameter that is too small, it will just lose it's tension when it gets too hot. If it is not properly heat treated it can lose it's tension too. That is why I said to get the springs from a Delorean vendor, they have the size that works.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4055

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Have you considered not pressing the brakes?
    have you considered mailing me a garbage plate?

Not a DeLorean Guru

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    They use it on the box so they can charge more for the pads.
    Kind of how like you use 'DeLorean Guru' as your nickname so you can sound smart quoting workshop manuals?
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I had this chirp issue for many years and squealing front breaks when coming to a stop.

I finally fixed both issues with the anti-rattle spring and anti-squeal shim kit. Aka: Front brake hardware kit. I installed the kit this spring and they have been quite ever since. The original spring style is NLA. The aftermarket hardware kit uses a different style spring than the original version but seems to work. I got the kits 1 per side from DMCMW.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

"The original spring style is NLA." FYI, although they may have been on your car when you bought it, no Deloreans came from the factory with brake anti-rattle clips. That is unfortunate since this was a common complaint since day one. Many ago I started using lightly modified A.R. springs in the front and clips in the rear brakes and this has always solved the clicking or "threading" problem. DMCH vendors started using a little different style clip some years ago and it doesn't matter which style you use as they both work. Of course I would prefer you choose mine for an obvious reason! In both cases these clips are designed to eliminate pad clicking only and will not solve squealing issues which have other causes.
    Rob

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

What you probably have is not really "ceramic". If it was you would have no grip when cold or wet and it would have chewed up your rotors. Many manufacturers use that term but it is not "ceramic". They use it on the box so they can charge more for the pads. Examine the pads. You should find 2 letters on it somewhere indicating it's true grip. Look for EE or FF or something similar. That will tell you what you really have.
    Stay away from ceramics, they don't grip well when cold r wet and chew up the rotors.
    David, If you are addressing me, I most certainly know that I have ceramic pads. I find it pretty ridiculous that you would suggest that any of us that mentioned them "probably" don't have them.

I also find it troubling that you repeat incorrect information. Since you don't trust manufacturers information, here is an excerpt of an article on comparing types of brake pads from Consumer Reports:

Types of brake pads
    There are four general types of brake pads for cars and trucks:

Semimetallic: This formula, containing about 30 to 65 percent metal, typically includes chopped steel wool or wire, iron powder, copper or graphite mixed with inorganic fillers, and friction modifiers that bond all the ingredients together. These pads are more durable and have excellent heat transfer, but also wear down rotors faster, can be noisy, and may not perform optimally at low temperatures.

Nonasbestos organic: Sometimes listed as organic or NAO, this type of pad is made from fibers, such as glass, rubber, carbon, and Kevlar, with filler materials and high-temperature resins. These pads are softer and create less noise, but they wear faster and create more dust.

Low-metallic NAO: These are made from an organic formula mixed with small amounts (10 to 30 percent) of copper or steel to help with heat transfer and provide better braking. With the added metal, there is more brake dust and they may be slightly noisier.

Ceramic: These are composed of ceramic fibers, nonferrous filler materials, bonding agents, and possibly small amounts of metal. Lighter in color and more expensive than other brake pads, ceramic pads are cleaner and quieter, and offer excellent braking characteristics without wearing down the rotors.

Here is the entire article: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...-for/index.htm

There are tons of similar articles on the topic.

To the OP, I have the DMC shim kit on my DeLorean that Jonathan mentioned above, and whether you get it from them or PJ Grady, I recommend it.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Not a DeLorean Guru

Maybe he's thinking of carbon ceramic rotors...?
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Maybe he's thinking of carbon ceramic rotors...?
    Who knows.. He's likely confusing them with semi-metallic pads. Everybody makes errors, but when someone disagrees with me, I stop, go back and check my facts and consider what has been said. I don't double down by repeating the same thing.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast