FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: chirping noise that goes away when i press the brakes.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I do not expect everyone on this forum to agree with my advice. In fact, it makes the forum better, challenging each other's positions and advice. Some things raise people's opinions to a religious zeal, oil, brake pads, etc. That is all well and good. In the end we are all here to offer our opinions and advice for the greater group. My goal is to help as many owners take the best care of their car that they can. Not all will follow my advice, I understand that. Occasionally I can also be wrong. I think it is over the line to attack me personally though. I have not attacked anyone personally for their opinions, I have challenged their advice. Sometimes they are wrong. That is the self-correcting thing about this forum.I accept it and so should you. When you don't agree with me you attack my credentials. I would put my experience and credentials up against anyone. I have been on this forum and it's predecessor for many years and contributed much of my knowledge and experience towards helping other owners with their cars. In the local area I actually go and help owners with their cars. Disagree with me, that's fine but to disparage me, that is not. Getting back to brake pads, you should do your research. What they call ceramics today are not truly ceramics. The same goes for most other things. These terms have become marketing tools and as such they have become meaningless. Today's ceramic pads are a hybrid of several types of materiel (at least the ones sold for the street). By blending different types of materiel they try to get the best qualities of each while mitigating the worst ones. Kind of like Orange Juice. They are allowed to say it's orange juice in their advertising even if it is only 15% orange juice! The only true measure of a brake pad is the double letter designation required by Federal Law stamped onto each pad. This is getting esoteric. The bottom line here for most owners is to buy their parts from their favorite Delorean vendor as much as they can. They will get (for the most part) parts that fit, will work as intended, and will usually be at competitive prices.

David,

I'm not attacking you personally. I'm giving you feedback about your consistent online behavior to NOT accept a contrary opinion, despite what you said above. You keep repeating wrong information when you are challenged. Tell me, is that because you are afraid to say you were mistaken, because you feel you don't have to due to your self appointed moniker, or some other reason?

I'm glad you agree that we are all here to help each other out. That being the case, I'm sure that it isn't your intention to spread incorrect information. So, it's what you choose to do or not do with the feedback that is important.

Finally, please don't tell me to do my research on brake pads, or to accept the self correcting nature of the forum. What audacity! I don't need your advice on these parts and I didn't ask for it. I challenged YOUR incorrect advice, remember? Like you said, this is what makes the forum better. Please listen to your own advice. That is the bottom line.

If you want to discuss it further, send me a PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Is there something actually available for purchase for the rear brakes? I have had the front hardware kit clips and shims in place on the fronts, but had always been under the impression a similar kit was not available for the rears. My rears tend to "click" and I'd love to put something similar in place on those. I had not thought the front hardware kit would also work/fit on the rears, but maybe I was mistaken?
    We have always offered a rear brake hardware kit (#109012G $19.50) that includes the pad pins, clevis clips, and antirattle clips which we modify for this application. They are available with or without the padset included. I'm not sure if other vendors offer something similiar. The front and rear kits are not interchangeable.
    Rob

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    We have always offered a rear brake hardware kit (#109012G $19.50) that includes the pad pins, clevis clips, and antirattle clips which we modify for this application. They are available with or without the padset included. I'm not sure if other vendors offer something similiar. The front and rear kits are not interchangeable.
    Rob
    Is that on your website somewhere Rob? I didn't see it just now when looking through the products pages. Or a photo of the kit maybe if it isn't viewable online?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Is that on your website somewhere Rob? I didn't see it just now when looking through the products pages. Or a photo of the kit maybe if it isn't viewable online?
    No it's not. I will get you a pic as time permits.
    Rob

My VIN:    4055

Club(s):   (DMA)

not to interrupt any of the drama-llamas, but just an update:
    After lubricating all the applicable contact surfaces, front and rear, I i finally took the car for a ride. brakes are noticeably smoother when depressing the pedal and, for now, the rhythmic chirping is gone.

rear greased
    2017-09-18 12.13.26.jpg

now, onto figuring out what causes that occasional grinding when trying to put the car in reverse after driving the car for a while....

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Im glad that you got it sorted.

I apologize for the commotion in your thread. I'm normally a very low drama guy.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by novadmc View Post
    After lubricating all the applicable contact surfaces, front and rear, I i finally took the car for a ride. brakes are noticeably smoother when depressing the pedal and, for now, the rhythmic chirping is gone.

rear greased
    2017-09-18 12.13.26.jpg

now, onto figuring out what causes that occasional grinding when trying to put the car in reverse after driving the car for a while....
    Interesting, you actually have the AR spring clips on the Rear pads.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by novadmc View Post

rear greased
    2017-09-18 12.13.26.jpg

Coincidentally Jonathon the antirattle clips shown in Novadmc's pic above appear to be our antirattle clips which we supply along with new pins. This looks like an old installation, as the plating is worn off the pins, hence the need for lubrication. The A.R. clips are what normally fixs the chirping noise, not lubing the pins, so that is the little mistery here?
    We now return you to our regularly scheduled debates!

My VIN:    4055

Club(s):   (DMA)

Coincidentally Jonathon the antirattle clips shown in Novadmc's pic above appear to be our antirattle clips which we supply along with new pins. This looks like an old installation, as the plating is worn off the pins, hence the need for lubrication. The A.R. clips are what normally fixs the chirping noise, not lubing the pins, so that is the little mistery here?
    this car was worked on/restored years ago (before my ownership) by Ed B. and DeLorean One (i believe circa 2000-2001) - for what that's worth - regarding clips in both the rear as shown and the front clips i found installed

My VIN:    3937

Rob
    Well, I've got about 100 miles so far on the car after installing Rob's rear anti-rattle clip kits and the clicking noise went away. Entirely. I have not heard it a single time since putting on the clips. Giddyup.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4