FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: chirping noise that goes away when i press the brakes.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Who knows.. He's likely confusing them with semi-metallic pads. Everybody makes errors, but when someone disagrees with me, I stop, go back and check my facts and consider what has been said. I don't double down by repeating the same thing.
    *hits Facebook like button*
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

chirping noise that goes away when i press the brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    "The original spring style is NLA." FYI, although they may have been on your car when you bought it, no Deloreans came from the factory with brake anti-rattle clips. That is unfortunate since this was a common complaint since day one. Many ago I started using lightly modified A.R. springs in the front and clips in the rear brakes and this has always solved the clicking or "threading" problem. DMCH vendors started using a little different style clip some years ago and it doesn't matter which style you use as they both work. Of course I would prefer you choose mine for an obvious reason! In both cases these clips are designed to eliminate pad clicking only and will not solve squealing issues which have other causes.
    Rob
    I was not aware the cars never had A.R. Springs from the factory.
    When I said original style, I was referring to a style clip/spring that I had seen offered by you and other vendors over the years.

As for anti-squeal, I didn't have the OE anti-squeal shims. Installing the shims and springs fixed both of my issues.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 09-18-2017 at 09:41 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Metallics, semi-metalics, and ceramics, at least the ones sold for racing, WILL chew up rotors and are not meant for street driving. If you are using them they are a hybrid and not true ceramics or metallics. IMHO it is best to go with what the Delorean vendors offer. They use them for their service customers and are the right mix of driving characteristics, life, noise, and dirt for street driving. Often, if you are buying other things, buying brake pads from the Delorean vendors will work out cheaper than finding them on your own. These terms have become marketing terms and have become meaningless. Check for the EE, FF, EF or something similar to understand exactly what kind of pad you have. You cannot go by what is on the box.
    David Teitelbaum

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Hopelessness is 100% assured at this point. Time to put The Guru on the block list.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Metallics, semi-metalics, and ceramics, at least the ones sold for racing, WILL chew up rotors and are not meant for street driving. If you are using them they are a hybrid and not true ceramics or metallics. IMHO it is best to go with what the Delorean vendors offer. They use them for their service customers and are the right mix of driving characteristics, life, noise, and dirt for street driving. Often, if you are buying other things, buying brake pads from the Delorean vendors will work out cheaper than finding them on your own. These terms have become marketing terms and have become meaningless. Check for the EE, FF, EF or something similar to understand exactly what kind of pad you have. You cannot go by what is on the box.
    Who are you talking to? At this point, I'm not taking any brake pad advice from you as it's nonsense. You said twice to stay away from ceramics. That's ridulous. Do you know that DMC sells ceramic pads?
    http://store.delorean.com/p-7406-fro...disc-pads.aspx

When called out on it, now you are talking about "racing" pads.

David, I'm going to offer you some unsolicited advice.

1) Take the silly "DeLorean Guru" off your avatar as its apparently forcing you to make unwise statements to defend it. There are lots of experts on this forum.

2) Take the time to actually READ the post and offer targeted advice to the problem at hand. You mentioned a couple times that you are offering your shotgun style advice for the benefit of other owners. This approach comes off as a disingenuous copy and paste generic response. Don't worry about trying to address the questions that haven't been asked. Let those people do their searches and if necessary, ask them.

3) It's OK to admit you were wrong. In fact, it's better for your credibility that you do.

We are all trying to help other owners with our collective experience. You have some good advice sometimes when you target your response.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 09-19-2017 at 04:08 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Often, if you are buying other things, buying brake pads from the Delorean vendors will work out cheaper than finding them on your own.
    That I cannot argue with. It is far cheaper and easier to buy the pads & hardware kits from a DeLorean vendor to save both time and money. I bought a set of brake pads *once* from AutoZone years ago, and wasted so much time in their manuals trying to match up the silhouettes in the books to the old pads I brought in. In the time it took driving to the store, searching for the correct pads, and then home, I could have been at least half way through my brake job had I just have ordered the parts in advance. Worst part? The damn things squealed worse than a city bus! I ended up ordering another set from P.J. Grady with their hardware kit w/springs, and they were silent from there on out.

I also have ceramic pads installed on my F-150 w/stock calipers and brand new rotors. I *do* notice that on very cold winter mornings I have to warm the brakes up a bit to get their grabbing power back up to normal. But it's only about a block or two of red lights and stop signs that get them up to snuff, and it's not all that bad. It's not like I have zero braking ability, it just has slightly more stopping distance, and like I say, it quickly disappears. Never had a problem in the frequent Houston rains personally, but whenever it's wet I always brake slowly to scrape rain water & road grime off to ensure I grip proper. Now truck brakes also are overbuilt from the factory because it's expected they'll be dealing with greater weights from cargo & towing payloads, so for everyday driving it didn't feel that different. But when worked them harder I could definitely tell that the ceramic pads performed much better when pulling a trailer than the OEM pads when hauling a trailer cross country. Particularly in the steep, windy mountain passes of New Mexico, during rain storms. Otherwise, ensure you get some quality lubricants for your caliper & drum assemblies on whatever vehicle you're working on.

If noting else, the low/non-existent dust from ceramic pads alone makes them worth the cost. I'd love to source some for my DeLorean in the upcoming year. The brake fade on stock when coming down from triple-digit speeds on the open highway wasn't the most comforting feeling in the world. But even if I opted for 3rd party pads again, there is no way in hell I'd ever install them without Grady's hardware kit.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    "The original spring style is NLA." FYI, although they may have been on your car when you bought it, no Deloreans came from the factory with brake anti-rattle clips. That is unfortunate since this was a common complaint since day one. Many ago I started using lightly modified A.R. springs in the front and clips in the rear brakes and this has always solved the clicking or "threading" problem. DMCH vendors started using a little different style clip some years ago and it doesn't matter which style you use as they both work. Of course I would prefer you choose mine for an obvious reason! In both cases these clips are designed to eliminate pad clicking only and will not solve squealing issues which have other causes.
    Rob
    Is there something actually available for purchase for the rear brakes? I have had the front hardware kit clips and shims in place on the fronts, but had always been under the impression a similar kit was not available for the rears. My rears tend to "click" and I'd love to put something similar in place on those. I had not thought the front hardware kit would also work/fit on the rears, but maybe I was mistaken?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Jonathan,

Didn't you post some photos of your front hardware installation? If so, please repost the thread link here.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Jonathan,

Didn't you post some photos of your front hardware installation? If so, please repost the thread link here.
    I did. In this thread, 12th post, lol. I think the OP might not have seen it though as there weren't any comments on it. I've wondered if the same kit could be used on the rears, but had thought maybe it didn't fit for one reason or another.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I do not expect everyone on this forum to agree with my advice. In fact, it makes the forum better, challenging each other's positions and advice. Some things raise people's opinions to a religious zeal, oil, brake pads, etc. That is all well and good. In the end we are all here to offer our opinions and advice for the greater group. My goal is to help as many owners take the best care of their car that they can. Not all will follow my advice, I understand that. Occasionally I can also be wrong. I think it is over the line to attack me personally though. I have not attacked anyone personally for their opinions, I have challenged their advice. Sometimes they are wrong. That is the self-correcting thing about this forum. I accept it and so should you. When you don't agree with me you attack my credentials. I would put my experience and credentials up against anyone. I have been on this forum and it's predecessor for many years and contributed much of my knowledge and experience towards helping other owners with their cars. In the local area I actually go and help owners with their cars. Disagree with me, that's fine but to disparage me, that is not. Getting back to brake pads, you should do your research. What they call ceramics today are not truly ceramics. The same goes for most other things. These terms have become marketing tools and as such they have become meaningless. Today's ceramic pads are a hybrid of several types of materiel (at least the ones sold for the street). By blending different types of materiel they try to get the best qualities of each while mitigating the worst ones. Kind of like Orange Juice. They are allowed to say it's orange juice in their advertising even if it is only 15% orange juice! The only true measure of a brake pad is the double letter designation required by Federal Law stamped onto each pad. This is getting esoteric. The bottom line here for most owners is to buy their parts from their favorite Delorean vendor as much as they can. They will get (for the most part) parts that fit, will work as intended, and will usually be at competitive prices.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast