FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rear Powe Antenna - How to replace

My VIN:    3757

Rear Powe Antenna - How to replace

I looked in the manual, can't seem to find anything on the rear power antenna. Any pointers as to how to replace?

Thanks,
    Craig
    Last edited by Silverbullet; 12-01-2012 at 11:56 PM.

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

It's probably not in the manual because it wasn't in the original design. Earlier cars had an antenna built into the windshield.

What's wrong with your power antenna? Are you sure it needs replacing? When I first bought my car the rear antenna didn't work at all, and after some diagnosing I found that it was because the line running to the radio was sitting disconnected buried in the center console.
    - Chris

what

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
    I looked in the manual, can't seem to find anything on the rear power antenna. Any pointers as to how to replace?

Thanks,
    Craig
    Take the old one out, put the new one in.

You get to it by removing the carbon can access panel at the left rear in the engine compartment.

You will need to modify the mounting a bit as the replacement antennas are a different shape than the originals.

You will need to modify the wiring and eliminate the small relay in the driver side electrical compartment as new antennas use a built-in relay. Run the trigger wire from the radio to the new antenna. Get power and ground from the same place as the old one.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

When I turn on the radio, I hear a noise in the rear, but it does not go up... So you don't have to pull the outside vent? Where is the relay?

Craig
    Last edited by Silverbullet; 12-02-2012 at 12:17 AM.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

When I turn on the radio, I hear a noise in the rear, but it does not go up... So you don't have to pull the outside vent? Where is the relay?

Craig
    No, you don't remove the vent, in fact you can't without breaking it.

The relay is in the electrical compartment behind the driver seat, usually screwed to the metal panel but the location is somewhat variable among cars.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Thanks!

Craig

My VIN:    4534

I found I had to remove the driver's taillight to get to one of the mounting bracket bolts. I removed bracket and all because I was installing an aftermarket, not a stock replacement. It required a little modification to get everything set right.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It can take quite a bit of fiddling to get the antennae installed. It is not easy to get it to pass through the fins in the vent and come out straight and level. As Dave S points out, if you install an newer antennae they have the relay incorporated into them and you must remove or bypass the existing relay if it is even there and hooked up. Be sure to fuse your wiring properly and route the wires so they do not get pinched and then ground or short out. It is worth trying to get the original to function before removing. You can temporarily run some wires to it directly and see if you can get it to move. When installing an antennae you should be sure to ground it properly for two reasons. One, so it will go up and down, but two, so you do not get a lot of interference and a weak signal because the signal ground is missing. Not that you will get a great signal with the original Craig or ASI anyway, as radios go they are pretty junky, even for the 80's. Today they are garbage compared to what you can get.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

The noise you hear in the rear when you turn on the radio is the antenna motor trying to raise the (busted) mast. So your relay and wiring are fine - to the old antenna.

Unless you spin the rivnuts that mount the antenna base bracket to the back of the left pontoon you can remove the antenna, together with its base, without pulling the taillight. Photo shows the access situation after the charcoal canister comes out (bottom plate of canister still perched on vent hose, dealer-installed "factory" antenna in place on this early-build car).

IMG_5086.jpg

My VIN:    4534

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    TUnless you spin the rivnuts that mount the antenna base bracket to the back of the left pontoon you can remove the antenna, together with its base, without pulling the taillight.
    Seems one of Red's previous owners decided to remove the rivnut. I had a bolt going through the fiberglass with a nut on the other side. At least I know what I'm missing if I ever go back in there again. Thanks Rich.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast