FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Of all people to join the club, I joined the club

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Very cool Mike! What kind of carb is that?

I remember doing the same thing (learning carbs) on my V8 Fiero project a number of years ago. I rebuilt a 750 cfm Rochester Quadrajet for it. My brother called it a Quadrabog lol. The 305 sbc came out of a stock car and the carb came with it. Rebuilding it was like having a clock apart. But it worked beautifully after rebuilding and tuning. I eventually realized that for the street application, it was too big for the engine cfm wise, and replaced it with a 650 Holley "double pumper". Good memories!

As for the reasons why a carb on an LS4? I'll can add that hearing the sound of the secondaries opening up behind you on a V8 is totally an experience not to be missed. I'd like to hear that when you get it all together.

P.S. The memes made me laugh as well.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Very cool Mike! What kind of carb is that?

I remember doing the same thing (learning carbs) on my V8 Fiero project a number of years ago. I rebuilt a 750 cfm Rochester Quadrajet for it. My brother called it a Quadrabog lol. The 305 sbc came out of a stock car and the carb came with it. Rebuilding it was like having a clock apart. But it worked beautifully after rebuilding and tuning. I eventually realized that for the street application, it was too big for the engine cfm wise, and replaced it with a 650 Holley "double pumper". Good memories!

As for the reasons why a carb on an LS4? I'll can add that hearing the sound of the secondaries opening up behind you on a V8 is totally an experience not to be missed. I'd like to hear that when you get it all together.

P.S. The memes made me laugh as well.
    It's an Edelbrock; 600cfm. I have a few reasons for going with the carb instead of the EFI setup that comes with the engine:

1. I've done an EFI setup before (on my PRV), so it's not a new learning experience, and I've never used a carb before
    2. The swap is going to take long enough as it is, so I know that by the time I get ready to start the car I'll just want the simplicity of the carb
    3. The GM LS EFI manifold presents several packaging issues when put into the DeLorean engine bay. The carb manifold gets around all of those.

I'm very much looking forward to the experience of learning all about carb fuel delivery.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    07000

Aaaannnddd, once you get tired of the smell of fuel from your carb, and the way the exhaust smells, no matter how well dialed in it is, you'll throw on a nice EFI throttle body for another $1000 and never worry about those things, flooding, choking the engine, etc. etc. etcetera...

I know this only because my 350 from an 85 Corvette is carbed, and on its third one no less...

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Aaaannnddd, once you get tired of the smell of fuel from your carb, and the way the exhaust smells, no matter how well dialed in it is, you'll throw on a nice EFI throttle body for another $1000 and never worry about those things, flooding, choking the engine, etc. etc. etcetera...

I know this only because my 350 from an 85 Corvette is carbed, and on its third one no less...
    Sounds like a poorly tuned carb.

If you can't figure your way around a carb, you will find efi much more challenging.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

I had a Honda Accord with 170xxx miles on her before i sold it. After driving it daily for 4 years, I never smelled fuel, and the engine was in front of me! Maybe the problem was with your carb and not a blanket issue with every carbed car out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I had a Honda Accord with 170xxx miles on her before i sold it. After driving it daily for 4 years, I never smelled fuel, and the engine was in front of me! Maybe the problem was with your carb and not a blanket issue with every carbed car out there.
    Possibly, but this is a fairly new one- put on straight out of the box (Edelbrock 4600), and adjusted a little not to run so rich.

Same with the rebuilt one I had that was tuned for a 350.

Any ideas beyond that?

Possibly, but this is a fairly new one- put on straight out of the box (Edelbrock 4600), and adjusted a little not to run so rich.

Same with the rebuilt one I had that was tuned for a 350.

Any ideas beyond that?
    Well, for rebuilding its more involved as you need to adjust more internal things like the float level, but straight out of the box, should just need to tune things like the air/fuel mixture and the idle air speed.

It is not that difficult, but it is like tuning a guitar. I'm not familiar with the 4600 ( is that the actual model number?) but I found these videos good enough to get you started:

Tuning:
    https://youtu.be/wR_AfQjyT-A

Troubleshooting:

http://youtu.be/OeD1UCnDHF8

Perhaps you can post a new thread with your results/questions?
    Last edited by DMC-81; 09-21-2017 at 08:46 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Well, for rebuilding its more involved as you need to adjust more internal things like the float level, but straight out of the box, should just need to tune things like the air/fuel mixture and the idle air speed.

It is not that difficult, but it is like tuning a guitar. I'm not familiar with the 4600 ( is that the actual model number?) but I found these videos good enough to get you started:

Tuning:
    https://youtu.be/wR_AfQjyT-A

Troubleshooting:

http://youtu.be/OeD1UCnDHF8

Perhaps you can post a new thread with your results/questions?
    Sorry - it’s a 1406- long day yesterday and typed in the first number that popped in my head. And I have adjusted both mixture screws, but get a pretty heavy exhaust smell, and like mentioned, fuel smell from it as well- but then all my previous carbs (even on my VW bus) smelled about the same.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Are you using any sort of tool to get feedback, like a manometer or a wideband oxygen sensor?

If your exhaust smells of gas, you're running rich. Simple as that.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

^ I agree with Mike (question and comment)

OK, let's try to narrow the problem down a little.

A few other questions:

1) You said that the carb is a 1406 => to confirm...600 cfm, electric choke correct?
    2) What is your fuel delivery setup... I'm assuming a stock Delorean pump with a regulator?
    3) If so, do you have a gauge on the regulator? Basically, what is your fuel pressure?
    4) The engine is from a 1985 Corvette => is it stock? Any modified cams?
    5) Can you post pictures of both sides of the carb installed including vacuum hoses attached to it?
    6) Did you experience the same symptoms with the last 2 carbs? Also, what prompted the 2 changes?
    7) Adding to Mike's question, what procedure did you use to set the metering screws?
    8 ) I assume you didn't change the metering rods or step up springs yet, correct?

Thanks.
    Dana

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast