FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best replacement alternator?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Best replacement alternator?

I've got an alternator that was originally purchased from Hervey many years ago. I've had three of them installed. I have a ground bus installed. And yet, when my engine is idling, none of these alternators have been able to maintain a nice output if I have the lights on or the A/C on. They all drop voltage, my lights dim, air motor slows down, until I push the accelerator to give me 1,000 RPMs then the needle bounces up and all is great. I have DPI fans, and even have my ECU programmed to bump the RPM up by 100 (850+- Idle RPM) when the A/C turns on yet I still have this issue. With no accessories turned on, my engine idles at 750+- and the needle is pretty steady with a good voltage.

It's been an annoyance from the beginning of ownership that I'd love to finally get resolved.

Can anyone tell me their experiences with other alternators? DMCH? Saturn alternator?

Thanks in advance
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    03572

I now have the DMCH alternator and don't see any voltage drop after I connected the sense wire to the large post. I also run 850 RPM and bump to 950 RPM when the AC compressor is on.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Add the Red (sense)wire shown here, that is what Dave did.

You can get a replacement connector loaded with all the wires like the one shown in the photo. Remove the 2 wires tied in the knot. They are not needed.

Also make sure the belt is tightened properly.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 09-22-2017 at 05:33 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Thanks guys, I’m about to crawl under the car right now and give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Thanks guys, I’m about to crawl under the car right now and give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had the Hervey alternator for about 7 years and I did not connect that sense wire. I connected the sense wire on the DMCH alternator to cure a voltage dropout every 18 seconds. It also fixed the flashing alternator light when you turn the key on. The DMCH unit has a fancy regulator in it that needed that fix.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    No. 4068

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Add the Red (sense)wire shown here, that is what Dave did.

You can get a replacement connector loaded with all the wires like the one shown in the photo. Remove the 2 wires tied in the knot. They are not needed.

Also make sure the belt is tightened properly.
    This is interesting, is this on the dmch alternator?
    RIP Rob van de Veer Top bloke

I say Sir, I must be mad, one loves fixing K-Jet !

Make sure there's plenty in the tank for the weekend chaps....

My VIN:    10270

The DMCH alternator looks like a GM style alternator and the sense line should be connected if possible, assuming they aren't custom built with sense connected internally. I recently reviewed datalogs from a DeLorean with a Hervey alternator and the voltage dropped to 12-ish during idle and rose to 14.4 off-idle.

I'm running a CS130 "Iceberg" alternator with a custom bracket, 105A rating. It's a wide ear mounting version of the common GM / Saturn alternator but rebuilt with better bearings and a special case to sink heat from the regulator better. I had to con Matt aka Drive Stainless into making it for me This opened up a universe with hundreds of options but took a bit of whittling to make it work. I could probably run an SI10, SI12, or CS144 as well.

With this alternator and the sense wire connected to the B+ post the voltage level finally hit 14.4 at idle. The moto was maybe high 13s at idle but the regulator potting was dripping out of the case so not a great reference.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Quote Originally Posted by NckT View Post
    Not sure if that is the same DMCH alternator but looks like the same connector. It's funny the sense wire used a larger pin and large wire but the sense only draws micro-amps of current. I guess they did that because you normally attach it to that large "battery" post.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by NckT View Post
    The DMCH (CS130) is provided with same connector with only a single Wire (L) Since it technically does not need the (S) Red wire. However, when the key is turned to the Run position with engine off, the battery light will flash/pulse. Dave M. Added the Red sense wire to his DMCH alternator and the flash/ pulsing light stopped. Just a steady ON now.

As I mentioned earlier, too add the Red wire, you need to buy another connector pigtail assembly from your local AP store.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 09-23-2017 at 11:15 AM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    <2000

As an option, if you are looking for a connector to wire the S terminal to battery positive to at least the DMCH version, I got this Dorman 85854 WeatherPak connector which only has one extra wire to tie off/ cut. I'm not sure if it fits Hervey's.

image.jpeg

There is a full discussion in this thread: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?12181-DMCH-alternator
    Last edited by DMC-81; 09-23-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast