FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Coolant hose replacement help

My VIN:    10686

Coolant hose replacement help

I have all of my hard coolant pipes off the car and am having a little trouble with putting them back on. I seem to be coming out a little to long as a I reach the rear of the car. Also the pipes the come off of the "S" pipes that run through the closing plate area and run back, one has a slight curve to it and the other dosent. Can someone tell me which one goes on what side. they are the pipes that get held on by the bracket under the car. my car is a manual transmission.

My VIN:    4519

Here are pics of mine during reassembly. I'm pretty sure this was before I adjusted them a bit, but I hope it helps:

IMG_2708.jpgIMG_3469.jpgIMG_3470.jpgIMG_3475.jpgIMG_3477.jpg

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

^Nice work Rich!

Just to add, you should have enough slack between the pipes and the hose sections to ensure the pipes are flush with the bottom of the car in the rear section:

image.jpeg image.jpeg

..and the hoses that go to the engine have slack to avoid rubbing against the rear closing panel:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

I started at the front and didn't torque all the clamps down until I was satisfied with the fit. ( yes there is a torque value for the clamps ).
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    11789

I am about to replace my ali pipes. have them all ready to install.My car currently doesn't have any!.
    To run the pipes from the front to the engine bay, would 1 meter of straight silicone tube be enough to do all the couplings? - do I need an angled piece?

Thanks for those photos - they will help me a lot in my re installation.
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

My VIN:    5823

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by SpudMurphy View Post
    I am about to replace my ali pipes. have them all ready to install.My car currently doesn't have any!.
    To run the pipes from the front to the engine bay, would 1 meter of straight silicone tube be enough to do all the couplings? - do I need an angled piece?

Thanks for those photos - they will help me a lot in my re installation.
    In the ideal world 1 meter should be enough. On my car it was not enough, one coupling needed to be longer then the old one, so I did need to buy another meter. Measure before cutting, I made copies of the old ones which was wrong. One coupling will be at an angle, the one near the starter. Also on this location you need to connect 2 pipes with different diameter. I managed to use straight tube for this. I didn't use silicone tube on my car, the old ones lasted nearly 35 years so I replaced them with rubber tube.

My VIN:    11789

Quote Originally Posted by Delta DeLorean View Post
    In the ideal world 1 meter should be enough. On my car it was not enough, one coupling needed to be longer then the old one, so I did need to buy another meter. Measure before cutting, I made copies of the old ones which was wrong. One coupling will be at an angle, the one near the starter. Also on this location you need to connect 2 pipes with different diameter. I managed to use straight tube for this. I didn't use silicone tube on my car, the old ones lasted nearly 35 years so I replaced them with rubber tube.
    Thanks for posting a reply to my query.

It's a shame that I don't have the old couplings as reference for making the new ones. With this in mind, I'll order more than one meter - and that should give me some wiggle room.
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

My VIN:    #5980