FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Troubleshooting cooling fan

My VIN:    03572

I pulled my washer bottle a long time ago and I remember I could not do much with the connectors since they are way up at the top. Maybe if you disconnect the connectors than you can pull the main harness down.

Now I did some rewiring in the headlight area and I think I was able to disconnect the connector for the front harness (headlights and blinkers) from that hole under the light bucket. But I'm not sure if you could get the other connectors that way.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    6409

Club(s):   (DOC-UK) (DOI)

I had to replace my front main loom and was able to pull the grey grommet out of the hole beside the washer bottle by squeezing and manipulating it..
    Once I did that I was able to access the loom connector , once I pulled the connector apart there was enough slack in the loom in the the pontoon side to pull it down and access the pins on the other side of the
    plug ..

It is tight but i was able to pull it down enough to get access to pins ..
    I had to to do it this way cause the washer bottle bolts were spinning in the fibreglass , just took the front drivers wheel off was the only other thing I done
    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Shane
    Last edited by cis6409; 11-29-2017 at 10:06 AM.
    only from the past can we choose the correct path for the future...

My VIN:    6409

Club(s):   (DOC-UK) (DOI)

"I believe the highlighted connector is the suspect one that I'm hoping access and check:
    Attachment 54724"

This is the same connector and grommet I had to work with, beside the washer bottle but accessed from underneath

Shane
    only from the past can we choose the correct path for the future...

Encouraging. Thank you Shane. I'll give it a go. Ron

I'm back working on the cooling fan issue. If you haven't followed along the problem is my left side cooling fan. The motor is fine it's just not getting enough voltage to run. I previously verified that the problem was the wiring. Somewhere there is a bad connection between the fan fail relay socket and the connector at the fan. It was pointed out the there was a connector in the bottle washer tub that may be the culprit. I would have never known except for the help of this forum. So I got the tub off (you have to be careful and patient with the bolts or the nutserts will break loose and start spinning). Sure enough, there was the connector and using my meter I verified it was the problem. Here are some photos:

Here is the connector after pulling it down from the chamber above the washer bottle tub:
    P4193573.jpg

Here is the culprit, a failed connector pin:
    Failed connector pin.JPG

You can see several of the other pins are also in poor condition.

On the male end the pins are showing corrosion:
    P4193587.jpg

I was able to clean up the male pins pretty well:
    P4193615.jpg

I cleaned the female pins with less success, so I would like to get replacements. Where can I get the female pins? I don't need hundreds, just a few. How do you extract the pins from the socket? Is there a tool?

Sincerely,
    Ron
    Last edited by DMC-Ron; 04-19-2018 at 07:03 AM.

Original pins are pretty hard to find. I have some if you only need a few. The female pins are a pain to pull even with my pin extractor but they eventually pull out with some pulling and twisting while using my extractor. Then of course you should have the open barrel crimper.
    Dave M vin 03572

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Original pins are pretty hard to find. I have some if you only need a few. The female pins are a pain to pull even with my pin extractor but they eventually pull out with some pulling and twisting while using my extractor. Then of course you should have the open barrel crimper.
    Dave,
    If I were to replace all the pins, I would need 9 pins:
    Failed connector pin.JPG

Looking at the condition after I cleaned them, I think I can get by without replacing all 9. If I am interpreting the wiring harness sketch correctly this connector serves the following:
    Wire Harness parts breakout 1.jpg

1. cooling fans
    2. horns
    3. fuel pump ??
    4. hood light
    5. another item that I'm not sure about - perhaps the low brake fluid switch

Of the list above, only the cooling fans and fuel pump draw high amps. So perhaps I only need 4 or 5 pins. What do you think, do I have the right loads listed for this connector? I can PM you if you like to see about a few pins and ask about the extraction tool.

Thanks,
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Dave,
    If I were to replace all the pins, I would need 9 pins:
    Failed connector pin.JPG

Looking at the condition after I cleaned them, I think I can get by without replacing all 9. If I am interpreting the wiring harness sketch correctly this connector serves the following:
    Wire Harness parts breakout 1.jpg

1. cooling fans
    2. horns
    3. fuel pump ??
    4. hood light
    5. another item that I'm not sure about - perhaps the low brake fluid switch

Of the list above, only the cooling fans and fuel pump draw high amps. So perhaps I only need 4 or 5 pins. What do you think, do I have the right loads listed for this connector? I can PM you if you like to see about a few pins and ask about the extraction tool.

Thanks,
    Ron
    I sent you a PM. Another possibility is you can get a new connector with new pins and that would let you just cut the old one out without the need to extract the pins. The new pins are not compatible with the OEM connector shell. By new pins i mean the 3M made pins that are available.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 04-19-2018 at 06:36 PM.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Or just cut out the plugs and solder the wires together. Unless you are concerned with originality that connector is not necessary.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Or just cut out the plugs and solder the wires together. Unless you are concerned with originality that connector is not necessary.
    David,
    That's a good thought and I had considered it. Doing so would eliminate the issue of failed connector pins in a connector that is very difficult to access. But it would also capture the harness thru the washer tub. I had also considered just putting on bullet connectors. I've had good luck with them on other cars. For now, I'm going to stick with the original connector. Dave is going to lend me his extractor tool and provide a few pins...thanks Dave!

Ron

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast