I was installing Dave's electronic fan relay when I noticed my front left fan (original fans still in car) was not running. Nothing to do with the new electronic relay (which works great). So I did some troubleshooting:

1. Unplugged the left fan and connected it to a portable 12 VDC source - fan runs just fine.
2. Measured the voltage at the plug supplying current to the fan (with fan disconnected - multi-meter probes in plug). Indicated 6.8 volts.
3. Measured the voltage from the positive plug prong to frame ground of car. Same, 6.8 volts.
4. Measured ohms resistance from negative prong to frame. Low, around 0.3 ohms.
5. Measured voltage leaving the fan fail socket (I still have fused jumpers in socket) with negative lead referenced to negative battery post. 12.5 volts.

A little perplexed about the voltage drop. How could I get 6.8 volts at the fan connector with just the multi meter plugged in (essentially no load)? The right fan is working normally. Ran out of time (how's that possible with a DeLorean?) and had to put this aside for later. Perhaps someone has a tip on this.

Thanks,
Ron