FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems with Carbureted DeLorean

Problems with Carbureted DeLorean

I purchased an automatic DeLorean about four months ago, from some Chad guy. It was supposedly restored on a TV show, but for "restored", the car didn't run right from day one. Just when I think I've figured it out, NOPE, car dies and refuses to move! Please, can anyone offer any suggestions? I've sunk a great deal of money into this car, and I had no idea it would have this many issues...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The Delorean was originally delivered with a Bosch fuel injection system. If it was removed and replaced with a carburetor it may not have been done well. Too bad you spent a lot of money on it already and still have problems. Can you explain your problem in greater detail? Does it do it when it gets hot or it just dies all the time? It may not be a fuel problem, it is possible it is an electrical or ignition problem.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi, and welcome. Sure. There are a lot of helpful people here.

To get started, aside from describing in detail what the symptoms are, what kind of carb setup you have, and the things you have already done to the car? Any pictures of the engine etc would be great to see as well.

Cheers,
    Last edited by DMC-81; 09-23-2017 at 10:38 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

For starters, the manifold is hokey, it's a bunch of welded pieces. It has difficulty starting and cuts out when I step on the gas. Here is what I'm dealing with: 20170523_130412.jpg20170706_151405.jpg

It's a Motorcraft 2100 carb

Some things that I've already had fixed on the car:

About 50 hail dents removed
    Dash was cracked, repaired that
    Filters were shot, replaced them all
    No antifreeze, refilled the tank
    Oil was shot, changed it
    Headlights replaced
    Tie rod ends replaced
    Steering boots replaced
    Weatherstripping was missing/ half torn out of the car; had to replace it all
    Front air deflector was shattered, ordered a new one
    Rockscreen was missing, had to get one
    Starter heatshield was in pieces, replaced it
    Brakes were defective, needed repair
    Frame rust had to be corrected
    Horns were missing, had to buy both high and low notes
    Hood latch broken, as well as trunk latch, had to fix both
    Back of driver's seat was broke, had to fix
    Side bolsters were falling out, reattached them
    Fuses were popping out, causing the high beams to malfunction, had to fix that
    Door trim pieces fell out, were held on by one fir tree, had to buy all new fir trees and reattach those too
    Coolant leak, replaced hoses
    Waterpump defective, installed new one
    Stains all over the interior, as well as loaded with crumbs, had to completely clean the car
    Cargo net was missing, bought one
    Shifter was loaded with junk, had to fish out kiddie rocks, money, and a lighter (that was full)
    The entire front fascia was cracked in two, had to replace:
    20170523_195602.jpg

My VIN:    Early

Yup, that's Chad's old car all right. Complete with his "Redneck Fascia Repair."

As for the issues, I'd first trace back the ignition system, starting with the plugs. Check for fowling, gap, etc. Work all the way back through the wires, distributor, and eventually the ignition ECU. My car had the very same symptoms and the ECU fried. And if all fails, try double checking the wiring between the coil, ECU, and distributor with a multimeter.

However, if all checks out with the ignition system, look at the carb. It may just need a cleaning.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Im not totally familiar with the carb setups on these..but would it be feasable to get a properly done manifold, i think there's one or two folks who make carb kits....

Or even put it back to the bosch k-jet injection?
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Im not totally familiar with the carb setups on these..but would it be feasable to get a properly done manifold, i think there's one or two folks who make carb kits....

Or even put it back to the bosch k-jet injection?
    The cut and hacked manifold is part of Bill Robertson's carb kits, and IMO, it's not really worth it to downgrade to K-jet...

To be honest, I'm pretty fed up with K-jet after my past few experiences. Hell, I may just join the dark side and dump it altogether for a carb.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Well a more expensive alternative would be EFI
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Well a more expensive alternative would be EFI

Thought of doing that, but after dealing with all the tables and data logging involved with my Cummins diesel, I'm not prepared to do that all over again on the DeLorean.

If you have the time and patience however, I'd say go for it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast