FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Carbureted DeLorean

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Bill R (who made that set up) is on the DeLorean fanatics Facebook page. Best direct your questions to him.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    03572

I agree to start with the ignition checking. I see in your photo you are not using any ignition resistance. To run without the resistors you need an ignition coil with a primary resistance of 1.5 ohms or higher. Also you would want an ignition ECU with current limiting and smart dwell changing like the GM module provides. This is what I have done on my D.

What I would suggest is to go back to using the ignition resistors and see if that helps. You may have damaged the coil and or ignition ECU running without resistors but just try it with the resistor wired back into the circuit.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Thanks for the details. You have done a lot of work so far. I would definitely follow the electrical advice already mentioned. Plus, here are some troubleshooting thoughts:

- On the Motorcraft 2100, can you confirm that it has an electric choke? if so, I would check the wiring, and that it has power. My thought here is that a non-functioning choke on a carb can also cause hard cold starts and rough running until warm. A picture of the choke setup would be helpful.

- Check for vacuum leaks. The 6 fuel injector ports are blocked off. You can check for any leaky/ incomplete blocks. Although the manifold is home-made and reportedly tested, you can check for any obvious gaps in the welding (unlikely but worthy of mention during your troubleshooting).

- Since you mentioned addressing fuses popping out, did you replace the fusebox, or the ones that had the issue. A picture of the fuse area would be helpful.

- Although not likely to be causing your issues, I'd check the veracity of the connection that is zip tied near the passenger valve cover. Is that connected to a microswitch or something else?
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanGirl View Post
    For starters, the manifold is hokey, it's a bunch of welded pieces. It has difficulty starting and cuts out when I step on the gas. Here is what I'm dealing with: Attachment 53602Attachment 53603
    That's one of Bill's manifolds; appearances aside, it's a proven design so I'm guessing it's not part of the issue. Bill's carbed DeLorean is the fastest stock PRV I've driven.

There's some good advice here already. I'd only add that whenever I have an issue, I always "go back to basics" and confirm the usual stuff (spark, fuel, compression.) Something I also find helpful: is there something you can do to "keep it going?" That info is usually significant, i.e. can you keep it going if you pump the gas pedal, or hold it at high idle....etc? I haven't solved many issues without the help of others, so I've gotten pretty good at gathering intel....it's helps others to help solve the issue.

My VIN:    10907

Does that setup still use the warm-up regulator and idle speed motor? When I was having starting problems it was a double-whammy of those two items that were responsible. (Mine is K-Jet though.)

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    Does that setup still use the warm-up regulator and idle speed motor? When I was having starting problems it was a double-whammy of those two items that were responsible. (Mine is K-Jet though.)
    No, neither would be used on a carb setup.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    That's one of Bill's manifolds; appearances aside, it's a proven design so I'm guessing it's not part of the issue. Bill's carbed DeLorean is the fastest stock PRV I've driven.
    Bill's personal car has either a Renault or Peugeot cast manifold. DeloreanGirl's car has one of Bill's hand welded manifolds. I know a couple of his early hand made manifolds didn't seat properly, and he compensated for this with fatter o-rings. I'm pretty sure he ended up replacing Farrar Hudkins' manifold due to this. Point being, it's possible the manifold is the culprit, especially as the o-rings age.
    Louie Golden

The electric choke is working fine, and the fuses are new. However, there is phone wire, speaker wire, & extension cords in the wiring:

20170925_125623.jpg20170925_125653.jpg

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Cool...I havent seen a redneck wiring harness since my friend's 70 challenger. His dad had used extension cords for the spark plug wires.....hehe
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

That looks top notch.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast