FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Problems with Carbureted DeLorean

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I found extension cord wiring in my Opel GT; couldn't replace it fast enough. The insulation was all dried and cracking; definitely a safety concern.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

That definitely looks like a Chad Car.
    (Shudder)

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    That definitely looks like a Chad Car.
    (Shudder)

Cheers
    Steve
    Wait, what exactly do you mean by that?

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    Bill's personal car has either a Renault or Peugeot cast manifold. DeloreanGirl's car has one of Bill's hand welded manifolds. I know a couple of his early hand made manifolds didn't seat properly, and he compensated for this with fatter o-rings. I'm pretty sure he ended up replacing Farrar Hudkins' manifold due to this. Point being, it's possible the manifold is the culprit, especially as the o-rings age.
    I didn't realize....good catch.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanGirl View Post
    Wait, what exactly do you mean by that?
    hacked up, poorly put together, hastily modified, barely running... etc.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanGirl View Post
    The electric choke is working fine, and the fuses are new. However, there is phone wire, speaker wire, & extension cords in the wiring:

Attachment 53639Attachment 53640
    That's good news on the choke. As already mentioned above, I would address those wiring issues soon, especially underrated or improper wire (and connections).

Bill's personal car has either a Renault or Peugeot cast manifold. DeloreanGirl's car has one of Bill's hand welded manifolds. I know a couple of his early hand made manifolds didn't seat properly, and he compensated for this with fatter o-rings. I'm pretty sure he ended up replacing Farrar Hudkins' manifold due to this. Point being, it's possible the manifold is the culprit, especially as the o-rings age.
    Interesting. In that case, in addition to the O-rings, I would also check the gasket between the carb and the manifold. To be clear, I'm not knocking the setup, you'll just want to be sure everything is air tight. Like K-Jet, Carbs don't like vacuum leaks.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 09-26-2017 at 04:18 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Spray some starting fluid around where the manifold ports connect to the heads while the engine is running, you'll see if you have a vacuum leak quickly.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    5482

In addition to what others have mentioned, check and see if you're getting fuel to the bowl. Is the bowl on the carb full? If not, prime it manually and then run the car for a bit. Then recheck and see if its still full. If it is, then you should be able to rule out the fuel pump.

If you can't make it run with fuel in the bowl, then you have an air or spark issue.
    Jeff

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    In addition to what others have mentioned, check and see if you're getting fuel to the bowl. Is the bowl on the carb full? If not, prime it manually and then run the car for a bit. Then recheck and see if its still full. If it is, then you should be able to rule out the fuel pump.
    A number of years ago I rode with Bill Robertson to visit Farrar Hudkins in New Orleans. Oddly enough, both Bill & Farrar's (carb-specific) fuel pumps died that week. Neither pump was more than a year or two old, either. So this is a definite possibility.
    Louie Golden

Nothing witty here lest it offend

A number of years ago I rode with Bill Robertson to visit Farrar Hudkins in New Orleans. Oddly enough, both Bill & Farrar's (carb-specific) fuel pumps died that week. Neither pump was more than a year or two old, either. So this is a definite possibility.
    The in-the-tank airtex fuel pumps Bill was utilizing absolutely did not work for very long. In my opinion, it was simply underpowered for the job.

I went my own way and mounted a beefy electrical pump in the engine bay and it has been doing the job for 7 years or more.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast