FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Problems with Carbureted DeLorean

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Spray some starting fluid around where the manifold ports connect to the heads while the engine is running, you'll see if you have a vacuum leak quickly.
    and watch it possibly catch fire. by spraying it on a running engine

Starting fliud (Ether) is highly flammable.

Use Carb and choke cleaner instead. It’s more stable and less likely to flash fire but will still burn when drawn into into the engine via a vacuum leak.

Some folks even use WD-40 for this.

If you can get in touch with Bill, he would be the best source for info. Bill will tell you that the whole intake w/ carb attached can be removed in 5 minutes.
    Ship it back to him and he will install it on his car to verify proper operation.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Thank you! I do appreciate everyone's help. And, if possible, yes, I'd like to contact Mr. Robertson about the issue.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanGirl View Post
    Thank you! I do appreciate everyone's help. And, if possible, yes, I'd like to contact Mr. Robertson about the issue.
    Hi, I just found out about this thread. I will send you Bill's e-mail address in a private message.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he ended up replacing Farrar Hudkins' manifold due to this.
    Incorrect; I changed the O-rings to a cloverleaf profile, but #2613 has been running the same intake manifold since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Spray some starting fluid around where the manifold ports connect to the heads while the engine is running, you'll see if you have a vacuum leak quickly.
    I suggest using a spray bottle of water instead.

OK, I finished reading the thread so I'm up to speed now.

I suggest you pull the engine-compartment end of the fuel line and stick it in a mason jar, then turn on the fuel pump for a few seconds. If it's one of those Airtex electric low-pressure fuel pumps, it put out at max. 9 PSI. Fuel won't spray everywhere.

However, if it is an Airtex fuel pump, then it's probably failed. Those Airtex pumps are absolutely awful, in my opinion. I suggest rather than replace it with another failure-prone pump, you replicate what Sam Hill did.

Or install a mechanical fuel pump:
    MechanicalFuelPumpOnLobe.jpg

My VIN:    4 Seater DMC24

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    The in-the-tank airtex fuel pumps Bill was utilizing absolutely did not work for very long. In my opinion, it was simply underpowered for the job.

I went my own way and mounted a beefy electrical pump in the engine bay and it has been doing the job for 7 years or more.
    I'm running a carb in my car, and the 2nd fuel pump (Airtex) has just died again. I have another new Airtex which I can swap in, but I don't want to be doing this job every few months, which seems to be as long as those pumps can be expected to last!

Sam - sorry if I missed it in another thread, but what make of pump did you install - can you share details of this please?

Thanks,
    John

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by dmcjohn View Post

Sam - sorry if I missed it in another thread, but what make of pump did you install - can you share details of this please?

Thanks,
    John
    Had to search a few minutes on this forum to find it. I also exagerrated the time it has been in use, sorry. It's an Airtex E84070 and I have been running it since 2013. You could mount it wherever you want, I guess, but mine is mounted on the left side engine bay. Foggy memory: I don't remember the wiring but I can take a picture. If the ignition is on, the pump comes on. It is noisy, but that lets you know it's on and working when you turn the key. You don't hear it over the engine.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...IaApNhEALw_wcB (Or you can pay $10 more to get it off Amazon.)

FUEL PUMP.JPG
    Last edited by SamHill; 10-02-2017 at 01:41 PM.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

What tips... Bot?

Quote Originally Posted by evabrain View Post
    Thank you @ DeLoreanGirl for these useful tips
    -----Dan B.

If the fuel pump is small enough, you can also mount it nearer the fuel tank.
    SANY0894.jpg
    Last edited by Farrar; 10-02-2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: botched it the first time :P

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4