FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Child seats

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Child seats

Has anyone driven their DMC with a child's car seat installed? I mocked it up today. It would have to be rear facing. It fits fine except that it will block some vision with my RH side mirror.

Back in the 80's my dad used to put my brother and I next to each other on the passenger seat of his 1979 RX7, so at least I'm stepping it up a bit.

It would be nice to get the belt to cinch tight around the base of the car seat instead of only offering resistance under inertia (like sudden braking).
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    03500

I've seen them faced forward. Remember we don't have airbags.

Dave B.

They have to be rear facing until the child is a certain weight. At least in Canada.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    They have to be rear facing until the child is a certain weight. At least in Canada.
    Pretty sure it's the same here in most states. All the car seats I'm using when facing rear just use the child seat clips only found in newer cars. When they face forward then you use the normal seat belt.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Pretty sure it's the same here in most states. All the car seats I'm using when facing rear just use the child seat clips only found in newer cars. When they face forward then you use the normal seat belt.
    +1

That's a LATCH system.....you should make a system for the DeLorean, Dave!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

In the US it varies by State. Often by age, weight AND height. We can go to the local police station and they have at least 1 officer who is qualified to install the child seat. When the child is small they are not supposed to go in the front seat UNLESS there is NO back seat. In that case there is an exemption. Front facing or rear facing depends on the size, weight, and age of the child. Find out what the regs are where you live. The seats in the Delorean don't have the tether anchor points like modern cars do so you must use the seat belt. Because it also has an inertia reel it makes it harder to do it. Some seats only use the belt to hold the seat, the seat has it's own harness for the child. Bottom line, you must get the right seat and have someone help you install it correctly.
    David Teitelbaum

[QUOTE=David T;225468 Bottom line, you must get the right seat and have someone help you install it correctly.[/QUOTE]

Damn. And here I was using a bucket and bungee cords.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    04610

My son has been coming with me in the DeLorean ever since he was a few weeks old ... it still put a smile on this face whenever he comes along!

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_6795.jpg

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    It would be nice to get the belt to cinch tight around the base of the car seat instead of only offering resistance under inertia (like sudden braking).
    Dave,

iirc

you have to install the seat-base and insert the seatbelt buckle as normal and then pull out the rest of the seatbelt webbing from the inertia reel until it clicks and let it retract back into the reel again. Then push the carseat base into the DeLorean seat until it is as tight as possible.

That's how I did it back in the prehistoric pre-LATCH days before car seats had bases and all sorts of other fancy attachments
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10201

I used to work in the crast test industry and we also did child seat testing. My 2 cents would be to wait until they are big enough not to require a car seat unless you are cruising on a closed track. If the crash test found on youtube is the final one, it would be a hard fail by modern standards. I've seen hundreds of crash tests and none of them were anywhere near as bad as the delorean one. I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to put a modern child seat in a delorean considering how poorly it already performs in crash testing.

Bonus: This head skin failed calibration so I kept it. This is from the 3 year old dummy. It is creepy and goofy as hell which is why I kept it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast