FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Clutch died

My VIN:    03572

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to delay doing much of anything with the clutch problem mostly because of limited and trying to keep up building inventory of my products. My otterstat has mostly been on hold because my inventory on a few items has got to low.

So far I think I will get the car up as high as possible and drop the tranny. I have not decided if I will do the roll pin yet but I do plan to check that nut that backs off. I also have that coupler that nick sold to install but that pretty much requires a full tear down of the tranny.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    16811

Clutch died

In my experience, just a couple of days ago in fact, it's much easier to pull the engine out of a Delorean than the transmission. When I pulled my trans last about 15 years ago it was a major undertaking which lasted just about morning till night on my back. The other day, I had the engine out in about 3 hours tops! Clutch done, (Valeo Kit does NOT come with an alignment tool!) also, I've read in several places that the dust plates are really not necessary to reinstall which makes future pulls of the motor and trans much simpler. I am curious about the roll pin you guys are talking about? If it's the 2 roll pins installed in the block to line up the trans, mine were in great shape before dropping the motor back in.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash66 View Post
    In my experience, just a couple of days ago in fact, it's much easier to pull the engine out of a Delorean than the transmission. When I pulled my trans last about 15 years ago it was a major undertaking which lasted just about morning till night on my back. The other day, I had the engine out in about 3 hours tops! Clutch done, (Valeo Kit does NOT come with an alignment tool!) also, I've read in several places that the dust plates are really not necessary to reinstall which makes future pulls of the motor and trans much simpler. I am curious about the roll pin you guys are talking about? If it's the 2 roll pins installed in the block to line up the trans, mine were in great shape before dropping the motor back in.
    The roll pins are inside the transmission, they hold the shift forks on to the shafts. There is a smaller roll pin installed inside the regular roll pin. This is just an extra preventative measure to ensure it does not back out. It is a fairly common practice in other manual transmissions.
    Attached Images

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Clutch died

Ah! Right on Josh! Thanks for clarifying this. I was worried about the roll pins in the block putting the motor back in as I never got the nice plop sound when mating the motor to the trans ever in a Delorean via hoist. Finally sat well together and bell housing bolts threaded in easy so I guess all is well. Will know once I get everything buttoned up. All in all pulling the motor out of a Delorean is really straight forward and easy to do. Great opportunity to clean up everything also! My frame cleaned up like new as well!

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Having pulled my transmission for various reasons at least half a dozen times, I have to say for me it was much easier to remove the transmission only instead of the engine. There is much less to disconnect, no fuel lines to mess with, you don't have to drain and refill your cooling system. The hardest part is removing the axles but if you have them (I know Dave does), it's simple to remove Allen bolts than it is the hex head original ones, saving you a ton of time. I also found it was easier to align the engine/transmission using the transmission than it was using the engine when I installed my swapped engine. Dust shields were mentioned - I haven't had them installed for over a decade with no issue, I think I even lost the one that holds the "magnetic pickup" so I didn't have a choice.
    -----Dan B.

I noticed the magnetic pickup in mine as well but was unsure what the hell it was for lol!

My VIN:    03572

My dust shield for the magnetic pickup was just hanging (on the exhaust) when I bought my car. I guess when the clutch was replaced they could not bolt it back up. So I just removed the plate and removed the diagnostic plug also.

I need to pull one axle anyway to do new boots. The other axle is new. So what is the alignment tool? How is it used?

I did order the Valeo kit from DeLorean-go and it should be here in a few days. The work still has to wait.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    My dust shield for the magnetic pickup was just hanging (on the exhaust) when I bought my car. I guess when the clutch was replaced they could not bolt it back up. So I just removed the plate and removed the diagnostic plug also.

I need to pull one axle anyway to do new boots. The other axle is new. So what is the alignment tool? How is it used?

I did order the Valeo kit from DeLorean-go and it should be here in a few days. The work still has to wait.
    The alignment tool has splines that match the clutch disk, you put the clutch on the tool, the tool in the pilot bearing and then slide the pressure plate over it all and bolt it down. This holds the clutch in position so your input shaft goes right through it and into the pilot bearing without it being "off". Most of the time, the clutch kit comes with the tool but I see the one from DeLoreanGo does not!
    -----Dan B.

In the Valeo Kit, it doesn't. Either go to clutchtool.com and purchase #44 or I made a clutch tool with a 3/8" ratchet extension and wrapped it in 2 places with electrical tape the same size as the pilot bearing and disk spline. Worked perfectly.

Also, I hate to say it at this point, but you could have gotten your Valeo clutch kit (WITH Alignment tool) on Amazon, for $178. Search Valeo 52352501.
    -----Dan B.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast