FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch died

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    you didn't replace a $0.20 roll pin.
    While I understand your point, you're misleading people when you say this since you'll also need gaskets, seals, sealants, oil, locknuts etc. It costs more than twenty pennies.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    While I understand your point, you're misleading people when you say this since you'll also need gaskets, seals, sealants, oil, locknuts etc. It costs more than twenty pennies.
    But you get my point. All of the "heavy lifting" to R & R the transmission is being done, it just makes sense to go over the insides of it. Especially if you do not know the history and if it was ever abused from driving it with a bad clutch hydraulic system. Being a 30 + year old car, changing the seals is probably due anyway. If you can't do this yourself and are on a very tight budget I can understand how you would be tempted to forgo touching the tranny. If you have to pay someone to do it, it will cost a LOT more than $0.20!
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    Question for the Master of Bitsyncs: how many miles did you get out of your clutch? This is always a subject I'm interested in. The consensus I'm getting is that 50K miles is pretty good for a clutch in these things. SAD!
    It's crazy, right? Based on the pics the clutch discs seem to show minimal wear. The pressure plates must have tinfoil springs.

Seems like the stock Valeo p/n is questionable (801300).
    Anyone tried an Alpine turbo clutch (801299) or any other Alpine clutch options?
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    It's crazy, right? Based on the pics the clutch discs seem to show minimal wear. The pressure plates must have tinfoil springs.

Seems like the stock Valeo p/n is questionable (801300).
    Anyone tried an Alpine turbo clutch (801299) or any other Alpine clutch options?
    We use the alpine clutch on all of our performance builds along with a custom stepped flywheel spec. This does require a different master cylinder configuration as the stock unit makes the car hard to drive. You find yourself putting a little more than desired body weight into every shift.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    We use the alpine clutch on all of our performance builds along with a custom stepped flywheel spec. This does require a different master cylinder configuration as the stock unit makes the car hard to drive. You find yourself putting a little more than desired body weight into every shift.
    Without holding you to it, would expect the DPI Alpine Clutch/different master to last roughly twice as long?

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    Without holding you to it, would expect the DPI Alpine Clutch/different master to last roughly twice as long?
    Stock application yes for sure. We do install these in cars that are not boosted for owners eventually wanting to do the upgrade completely. IE forged internal bottom end with ports and return fittings installed for turbochargers. On boosted applications its all about how you beat on the component. It is a giving device that supplies a slip between to components. Its wear life is subject to this process and how it is used.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    But you get my point. All of the "heavy lifting" to R & R the transmission is being done, it just makes sense to go over the insides of it. Especially if you do not know the history and if it was ever abused from driving it with a bad clutch hydraulic system. Being a 30 + year old car, changing the seals is probably due anyway. If you can't do this yourself and are on a very tight budget I can understand how you would be tempted to forgo touching the tranny. If you have to pay someone to do it, it will cost a LOT more than $0.20!
    Yeah, even if you do the transmission refurb yourself, you're looking at roughly $300 as a best case cost above the clutch parts and flywheel resurfacing. If you run into pitted drive axle flanges, a rusted clutch fork, or opt for upgraded parts (e.g. a Nachi pilot bearing or a bulletproof coupler) that's all extra. That also doesn't include refurbing the drive axles.

At a minimum, I recommend to anyone removing the transmission that they remove the rear cover and check/add red loctite to the secondary shaft nut. (Ask me how I know ). In fact, that can be done with the transmission in the car.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10270

Awesome, that's good to know!

the stock unit makes the car hard to drive
    This is pretty much a free-standing statement anyway, depending on the person

I'll never forget my first and only parade experience.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

This does require a different master cylinder configuration as the stock unit makes the car hard to drive. You find yourself putting a little more than desired body weight into every shift.
    Josh is possible to buy the new master alone ?
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

Yes!

Our complete hydraulic kit offering is here:

http://www.deloreanindustries.com/cl...lics-complete/

This is a front to back update on the car. Gets rid of the hard line section across the transmission and includes mounting brackets etc to run the line. Also no issues trying to seal the system as with the factory flare fittings. Everything is switched over to AN. Res. is updated and the failure prone feed line to the master is updated as well to a braided section with AN fittings.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast