FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OEM radiator ducting

Since Matt's clearly not wanting a sale here (why does this thread exist again?!)

ANDREW, clean out your inbox, I tried responding to your latest and got a full message.

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Since Matt's clearly not wanting a sale here (why does this thread exist again?!)

ANDREW, clean out your inbox, I tried responding to your latest and got a full message.
    Post pics!

HAHA yeah right like I'd ever sell to you after that stunt. Nice try Ed B, nice try...

Then get lost!

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Sounds like a NO SALE -- NEXT..

My VIN:    04629

OEM Radiator Duct

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Part 105506

I am reaching the 220 temperature mark while on the highway on hot days, but not when in stop-and-go traffic.
    My car doesn't have the radiator duct. What I notice is above 3000 rpms the cooling system begins to get hot, everything is perfect in my cooling system w/new coolant.

Does this ducting solve that issue?

I have no other issue with my cooling system in stop & go traffic either, just a small issue I would like to solve.

When I reduce my speeds (rpm) the issue goes away.

I don't see the problem(s). The boiling point of the coolant is ~257° F (125° C), if you have a 50/50 mix and a 15 psi cap.

My VIN:    04629

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I don't see the problem(s). The boiling point of the coolant is ~257° F (125° C), if you have a 50/50 mix and a 15 psi cap.
    I guess I should have been more specific, In all highway speeds my cooling system operates as it should, even in traffic. But when I'm traveling at highway speeds, with the engine rpms at or above 3000. (I do have an automatic transmission) The gauge begins to start showing higher temps.

So my question is does this ducting help or hinder the efficiency of the cooling system?

(My little voice says that maybe the increased rpms 'pumps the coolant quicker than normal and doesn't get the chance of proper cooling also?)

Quote Originally Posted by ritztoys View Post
    I guess I should have been more specific,...
    Me too lol

Most engines are "warmed up" at 145F, but you want it to be at least 180F for the lubrication system and combustion..., 195F for those with O2 sensors. Most have the fan(s) come on at ~200F, but a stock DeLorean otterstat turns them on at ~220F (according to the gauge, a POS imho. Check this as there are replacements using different values). From here, the fan(s) should keep it below 230F.
    So for a D, !95F to 220F is the "normal" range. >230F is where most indicate excessive heat via gauge/alarm.

I'd suggest verifying the gauge reading by taking the cap off, warming it up fully, then shooting the coolant in the tank directly with a laser thermometer. If they are close and it has always shows <230F, I wouldn't worry about it...especially since you (two) say you don't have problems at mid-low speeds and that is where the ducts/shrouds are needed - you don't really need fans at high speeds...

BUT, I'd install the ducts for mid-low speeds, and GP, anyway - Without question if driving in the hotter areas.

My VIN:    03572

I think the stock otterstat is 96 C on and 88 C off. That would be 204.8 F and 190.4 F
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast