FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Reinstalling the back of the seats..

My VIN:    3294

Reinstalling the back of the seats..

Just like the title says, I'm in the process of trying to reinstall the back cover of the passenger seat and I just can't seem to get it to work.

The original backer board was broken, so I used it as a pattern to create a new one using 1/8" hardboard. My new piece is dimensionally identical to the original, including the placement of the metal retaining clips. I cut off the old rivets with a dremel tool and used the existing holes on the original as the guide for the holes in the new piece.

I've got the fabric / vinyl already stapled in place, but having a hard time trying to get everything reattached.

Should the bottom screwsgo in first, or save those for the last?

Is there a trick to this?
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd View Post
    Just like the title says, I'm in the process of trying to reinstall the back cover of the passenger seat and I just can't seem to get it to work.

The original backer board was broken, so I used it as a pattern to create a new one using 1/8" hardboard. My new piece is dimensionally identical to the original, including the placement of the metal retaining clips. I cut off the old rivets with a dremel tool and used the existing holes on the original as the guide for the holes in the new piece.

I've got the fabric / vinyl already stapled in place, but having a hard time trying to get everything reattached.

Should the bottom screwsgo in first, or save those for the last?

Is there a trick to this?
    Assuming you really hit the dimensions correctly, you position the back about a half inch below the normal position. the top rail catches the seat wire, and the side rails slide up into position and grab the sides. THEN you put the screws in. Easy to describe, but can be something of a PITA to fit.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Thanks Dave, that did the trick. I was trying to do it with the bottom screwed in first.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

Here's some "before" and "after" pictures of the seat back backer board

Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81