FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: In Defense of VIN Counters

My VIN:    16306

I too have always enjoyed the vin registry site. The pursuit of the actual production number has always fascinated me. It's like a fun mystery to try and solve.

Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    The 8798 is only the number we have are able to verify.
    I always thought that the actual production number was 8987? (6700 81s, 999 10,XXX/15,XXX, 1000 11,XXX/16,XXX, 171 17,XXX, 105 20,XXX, and the 12 or so RHD ones)

Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    CORRECTIONS:

The actual production number is 8798.
    Back up, even Nick Sutton doesn't know that one, he was there from start to finish and estimated higher, with the re-VINs at 83, you gotta cite an independent source for that number if you're going to get THAT specific.

Also the sheer number of 500 series cars that are a mystery of whether or not they ever existed at all says that's not a valid number. Where's 501?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I certainly appreciate the statistical info! Any count on how many carb and EFI conversions have been completed?
    I did a quick search of VIN notes and found the following:

Here are the VINs that have reported EFI conversions:
    • 700 Turbo/EFI
    • 1049 LS4 engine swap, EFI (MegaSquirt), Z7U intake
    • 2329 EFI (MegaSquirt Fuel & spark control
    • 2942 EFI
    • 3307 Twin Turbo, EFI, numerous engine modifications
    • 3416 3.0L odd-fire, EFI
    • 3635 BAE Turbo
    • 3662 Twin Turbo with EFI
    • 4088 EFI
    • 4502 2.8 even fire PRV, EFI
    • 5003 EFI (MegaSquirt), even fire PRV
    • 6147 EFI conversion
    • 10920 EFI

Here are the VINs that have reported Carb conversions:
    • 2607 Carb conversion
    • 3968 Carbureted
    • 5052 Carbureted (Peugeot 604 intake, dual Solex carbs)
    • 5482 Carbureted
    • 5835 Carbureted, "Boo"
    • 16510 Carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by ? ? ? ? View Post
    I always thought that the actual production number was 8987? (6700 81s, 999 10,XXX/15,XXX, 1000 11,XXX/16,XXX, 171 17,XXX, 105 20,XXX, and the 12 or so RHD ones)
    Those comments written by Shannon are from some years ago. I know there has been at least one found (with a VIN plate photo as verification) that was not in Shannon's original count. Yes, we should update the comments section of the Registry information page accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Back up, even Nick Sutton doesn't know that one, he was there from start to finish and estimated higher, with the re-VINs at 83, you gotta cite an independent source for that number if you're going to get THAT specific.

Also the sheer number of 500 series cars that are a mystery of whether or not they ever existed at all says that's not a valid number. Where's 501?
    Our 8798 number is lower because that's all we could verify. It is not set in stone. If anyone at any time can verify more actual VINs, I am happy to add them to our database. Nick Sutton is probably right that there are more, we just don't know about them yet (more precisely speaking, we don't know what the actual VIN is). We would LOVE to know the numbers of the missing cars, bring them on!

501 is in the database.

Thomas

Last edited by Citizen; 10-07-2017 at 05:38 PM.
    Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I retract the 9200 stated before according to Barrie. It was 9,080. I'm still searching for his explaination of how he arrived at that number. Btw, if you want to update some cars, then my 5000 and 16128 both have PRV even fire efi twin turbo engines (from DPI) and 5000 also has a stainless frame (also DPI).

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    Btw, if you want to update some cars, then my 5000 and 16128 both have PRV even fire efi twin turbo engines (from DPI) and 5000 also has a stainless frame (also DPI).
    Great to know, updated.

Thanks

Last edited by Citizen; 10-07-2017 at 06:27 PM.

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

It's about 9,000 cars manufactured give or take a few. There are fewere in our database due to skips in the VINs where we don't have any evidence of the car being made. For example we don't know if VIN 6700 was made because we don't have evidence yet but it probably was. Making some reasonable assumptions puts the count of cars made at around 9,000.
    Shannon

"8798 produced" becoming "our 8798 number" straight to "501 is in our database" -- hang on dude, get one story and stick with it because I have three by now. If it's your own registry number, great, but please quantify that correctly.

501 is now 500, as the leading theory goes, which is up at Crawford Auto Museum. I have seen it and it's in dire shape, museum owners simply do not care anymore, honestly the car needs a megaton of work and they wouldn't let DPI Josh fix it on his own dime (he tried to offer pro bono fixes and parts, they refused to even acknowledge it). That's why I mention 500 series. Do yourself a favor, PJ Grady UK's site, 500 chronology, amazing read.

Original 500 -- as per leading theory -- crashed into a wall, a quick VIN plate swap and original 500 was very likely shoved back into the line for repairs or, honestly, probably sat beside my own car for the same purpose -- state-side part-out (yes, my car was a parts car before they even sold any stateside. Which means my car's a hipster... grumble grumble gah *angst*)

I would also like to point out that 559's page is screwed up a bit the pics and data are off, mind sending me a PM or got an email I can send correct data to?

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I think we can *mostly* agree the number is right around 9000 cars. We will likely never know for sure. The 500/501 saga has been discussed in great detail in the past. The biggest problem with that theory is that 500 is a 5 speed car, 501 was an automatic. No way they switched the frames and transmission. 500 was not a total loss and was likely repaired and "kept for posterity", at the direction of higher level authorities. 501 has not been found to date. Most easy cars had some decals placed somewhere on the finerglass mid bodies. Talk those folks at CAM to let you use a snake-cam on 500 and find out for sure.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

501 is in my basement.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    I would also like to point out that 559's page is screwed up a bit the pics and data are off, mind sending me a PM or got an email I can send correct data to?
    PM sent.

And to anyone else who finds errors, you can PM me here for corrections.

Also, for those who are not yet members of the DeLorean Owners Directory (DOD), when you join, your confirmed entry automatically updates the location data in the Registry.

Thomas

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast