FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Installing NOS thin grey stripe

Installing NOS thin grey stripe

Hello,
    My husband is the DeLorean fanatic, and I have a lead on a thin grey NOS stripe set at a good price that I know he would love. My question is: how do you get the 35+ year old stripes to stick? I just don’t want to spend a ton of money on them if they won’t stay on. Thoughts? Thank you!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by crazyreader View Post
    Hello,
    My husband is the DeLorean fanatic, and I have a lead on a thin grey NOS stripe set at a good price that I know he would love. My question is: how do you get the 35+ year old stripes to stick? I just don’t want to spend a ton of money on them if they won’t stay on. Thoughts? Thank you!
    Check with the Delorean vendors, I believe they sell new stock reproduction stripes. IMHO it isn't worth paying a lot of money for NOS side stripes because, as you say, they are 35 years old and may not stick anymore. Today, with modern computers, printers, and materials, any good sign shop can make a set of stripes for you any way you want.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The Nos Thin grey stripe should be just fine as long as the release film is still stuck to the adhesive of the stripe. An NOS wide black stripe might have problems though. I have NOS examples of both stripe kits. I would not have any issue about installing the Gray stripe. But the black one is probably past its useful life.

They are NOT For Sale though.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I successfully had a thin grey one installed about 5 years ago. It has done well. Some small issues with it sticking where it had been bent sitting in the box for 30'years. If you don't want it, pass along the info privately and I'll Add it to my stash of parts.

Reproductions are the way to go here. NOS will fetch you a premium because some guys absolutely insist on getting the ones that were there from the factory ("concours" is another term, essentially "period correct"), reproductions are the same exact thing for those that really don't need the originality aspect of it and don't care that it was made a few months ago and is identical otherwise. Adhesive is far better too.

Anything labeled "NOS" (short for "New Old Stock") is going to be more expensive and honestly won't get you anything better. But keep in mind, as with ANY decal, surface prep is key. Wash that DeLorean and clean it well before doing anything. Otherwise the decal sticks to the dirt rather than the stainless.

Don't know that I have a source on them myself, but I've been interested in the thick black stripes myself for a long while.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I'm "that guy" that insisted on buying and installing BOTH the NOS thin grey and wide black side stripes. The grey stripe was more fragile and a small piece did at some point break off, but i painted it back on. Both stripes have been on for years and I've had no issues.

Rob Grady sells NOS grey stripes for a great price.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    15190

I have a NOS box of texture side strip kit. It's still in the original box and the glue still looks okay.
    Do you know how many stickers a complete kit should include? mine seems to be missing a passenger door piece.
    IMG_0253.jpgIMG_0254.jpg

I too have a NOS thin gray side stripe kit. When I bought it, James E. had said it was their last one, FWIW. That was a few years ago, and I still haven't put it on the car, as I was waiting to get the drivers door aligned better first. Well....you know how that goes! : )

Thomas

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Black textured stripe kit

Quote Originally Posted by mburshtain View Post
    I have a NOS box of texture side strip kit. It's still in the original box and the glue still looks okay.
    Do you know how many stickers a complete kit should include? mine seems to be missing a passenger door piece.
    IMG_0253.jpgIMG_0254.jpg
    To be clear yours is the wide black kit Maor....not the thin grey stripe. It looks a bit weathered too but if you think it's usable I have an extra door stripe (whichever) if you need it. The black kit should have 10 pieces.
    Rob

My VIN:    15190

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    To be clear yours is the wide black kit Maor....not the thin grey stripe. It looks a bit weathered too but if you think it's usable I have an extra door stripe (whichever) if you need it. The black kit should have 10 pieces.
    Rob
    Thank you Rob, I appreciate the information.
    It looks usable but I’m probably not going install it. The glue side is gray so that confused me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast