Thread: Wear on alternator belt

My VIN:    10201

Wear on alternator belt

When checking belt tension this afternoon, I noticed a line where belt material had been getting thrown off the belt. I recently added DriveStainless's tensioner and I had to remove some washers because the bend wasn't like the one on my car. I can tell the wear is towards the engine, but is there a good way to figure out what is causing the problem? The wear appears minimal right now, so I'd really like to fix this before it gets worse. I did have to retighten the belt though.

My VIN:    831

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    When checking belt tension this afternoon, I noticed a line where belt material had been getting thrown off the belt. I recently added DriveStainless's tensioner and I had to remove some washers because the bend wasn't like the one on my car. I can tell the wear is towards the engine, but is there a good way to figure out what is causing the problem? The wear appears minimal right now, so I'd really like to fix this before it gets worse. I did have to retighten the belt though.

Pull the belt and check if your water pump moves freely.
    Rodolfo
    VR6 Swap in Progress...
    Delorean.eu Roof Box, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster w/Cruise, QA1 Suspension.

Water pump spins freely and stops when I let go.

Delorean Guru

My VIN:    10757

Club(s):   (DMA)

Very important that each pulley is in line (the same plane) as the others. Any mis-alignment and you get excessive wear on the belt. You check it with a straightedge or a string. Vee belts don't tolerate mis-alignment well.
    David Teitelbaum

I had been told to do that in the past but didnt know how. Guess this is what I was looking for: