FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Valve adjustment,

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    01598

Club(s):   (DCH)

Valve adjustment,

My engine has been overhauled by a serious local company. They put on the heads and timing chain as well. The engine ran fine, smelled a little bit rich, valves on the right side had some ticking sounds, and there was an occasional pop in the exhaust. I ran the engine till the fans came on and retightened the heads. Today I started adjusting the valves. Tried doing it this way, but when at TDC and almost all valves adjusted on the first turn, I could not adjust intake valve 4 and exhaust valve 6 as they were engaged. Has the engine company fucked up? I have adjusted all the valves now to the " on the rock" procedure without any problems....
    Svein Apeland

1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12, VIN: 01598. Gas flap hood, manual transmission, black interior, wide stripe, galvanized frame, Spax shocks and UK club exhaust.
    x1973 Plymouth Road Runner
    x1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
    x1975 Chevrolet El Camino
    x1974 Plymouth Satellite Sebring
    x1966 Lincoln Continental
    x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

As in this way, I meant the second method in the workshop manual....
    Svein Apeland

1981 DMC DeLorean DMC-12, VIN: 01598. Gas flap hood, manual transmission, black interior, wide stripe, galvanized frame, Spax shocks and UK club exhaust.
    x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

My VIN:    No. 4068

Are you definitely using the correct notch in the pulley for the to dead centre reference?

There are 2 notches on the pulley. If one of the notches is at too dead centre, the second notch should be at approximately at the 8 o'clock position when viewed from the rear of the car.
    RIP Rob van de Veer Top bloke

I say Sir, I must be mad, one loves fixing K-Jet !

Make sure there's plenty in the tank for the weekend chaps....

Quote Originally Posted by NckT View Post
    Are you definitely using the correct notch in the pulley for the to dead centre reference?

There are 2 notches on the pulley. If one of the notches is at too dead centre, the second notch should be at approximately at the 8 o'clock position when viewed from the rear of the car.
    Yes, I noticed that after a while yesterday. But was I wrong to use the the one that is at top dead center?
    Svein Apeland

x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
    Yes, I noticed that after a while yesterday. But was I wrong to use the the one that is at top dead center?
    You do not have to use the procedure in the manual. Just rotate the cam till the valve you want to adjust is fully closed. Easy to tell if the other one in the cylinder is open, the other one has to be closed.
    David Teitelbaum

I adjusted the valves, and took a compression test. All looked good! Put it back together and started it up.
    Only thing is that is the engine started hunting a little bit. Didn't do it before (not very much at least).
    I forgot to change the O ring in the mixture control unit for the tube auxiliary air pipe the last time i had it apart, so I changed it this time.
    Cheked the vacuum hoses and had a look in the mixture control unit to see if the new O ring had fallen inside, but all seemed to be ok.
    The Idle was set at around what the manual said, but I always felt that was a little low and the car would tend to rattle at that low speed.
    After the valve adjustment it feels like the idle went lower, On the verge of stalling. I will try to adjust it again and hopefully all will be okay.
    Svein Apeland

x1983 Porsche 944
    x1982 Porsche 944