FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Center Console Removal - Accumulator Access

My VIN:    11789

Question Center Console Removal - Accumulator Access

I need to get at my accumulator, and have been told that removal of the centre/center console gives access to components associated with it?

If that is the case, then how do you remove the console please? - Mine is an automatic.

Thanks
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

My VIN:    6472

If you need access to the fuel accumulator, you do not need to remove the center console. There is an opening in the center tunnel of the chassis and you can access it through there, from underneath the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    If you need access to the fuel accumulator, you do not need to remove the center console. There is an opening in the center tunnel of the chassis and you can access it through there, from underneath the car.
    Hi and thanks for the quick reply - I thought I read (somewhere) that there is access to some of the lines, under the Console?
    - TBH, this is the first time I've tackled this job and don't want to damage any hard lines?
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

You shouldn't need to touch the hard lines above the console to replace the fuel accumulator.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    03500

There are videos on YouTube for this.

Dave B.

My VIN:    3937

Removing the centre console will not help you access the fuel accumulator. There is fiberglass and steel (frame) in the way from above. You access it from underneath. The opening is just in front of the automatic transmission fluid pan. That opening is about the size of a DVD case and you are trying to work on something the size of a pop can. This job sucks the big one like few others (IMO).

See pics:

IMG_0474.jpgIMG_3834.jpgIMG_3835.jpgIMG_3839.jpgIMG_3862.jpgIMG_3865.jpgIMG_3503.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

let's put my query into perspective ....

• My car, along with many other examples, has been left standing - in my case since 1994.
    • It was exported in a batch of 50 to Dubai and has been subjected to temperatures exceeding 50c/120F.
    • In view of the above, rubber pipework on the car needs replacing.
    • I'm slowly working my way through the car, and reducing risks of failure/fire.
    • My car is what you might call a "project car" - one that would have sunk into oblivion unless somebody resurrected it.
    • My car hasn't got the accumulator fitted in the lower access - it's not just a question replacing the accumulator I'd also like to replace the flexible lines to it.
    • So, very much like the example of potentially damaging the fuel hardlines down at the "petrol tank" end, I'm trying to reduce the risk of damaging lines at the "accumulator" end at the hardlines, when doing this job
    • I don't have a lift, I just have the car up on blocks
    • I managed to find where I read about the console removal and it was here

https://lukesandel.com/auto/delorean...cumulator.html

So thanks for the advice :-

"There are videos on YouTube for this." - thanks anyway for contributing .
    I have researched you tube and indeed there are videos on there, but not covering what I want to do.If you know of one, then let me know please?

"You shouldn't need to touch the hard lines above the console to replace the fuel accumulator."
    "If you need access to the fuel accumulator, you do not need to remove the center console. There is an opening in the center tunnel of the chassis and you can access it through there, from underneath the car."

I guess I wasn't too clear from the outset, why I wanted to remove the console - I'm just thinking that I need to take it out sometime anyway, it may as well be now?

My VIN:    10644

That doesn’t say to remove the console.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post
    That doesn’t say to remove the console.
    The link includes the quote " make sure you remove the small tray at the back of the console, and then the plastic cover plate under that. That is where you can hold the back of the fuel line fitting while you detach it from underneath. If you don't do this you WILL kink the fuel line. At that point, you'll realize that the line is run in-between the frame and the body."

I tried prising the tray but it didn't budge - so I was thinking the next best thing is to remove the console, bearing in mind that i will have to take it out at some stage?

My VIN:    03500

Well
    That tray has to come out there are two nuts holding the console on under there. It might become attached to something so if you removed the two screws take a hair dryer or heat gun and warm it up. Because it should just lift right out. Had mine out this spring.

Dave B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast