FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: SpecialTAuto Refurbished AC Pulley Bracket

My VIN:    16409

SpecialTAuto Refurbished AC Pulley Bracket

Back when I was installing my new alternator I checked my AC pulleys since the belt was off. They didn't turn very well, so I thought before it got too hot, I'd better address them. There are a couple options available to refresh the AC pulleys. You can buy bearings and put them in yourself, or buy a whole refurbished pulley assembly. I decided to go with what Hervey offers. His refurbished units almost look like new. The brackets come freshly plated, and the pulleys come with new "blue seal" bearings. The bearings DMCH sells are NOS which means they are 30 years old, so I thought new bearings would have a longer service life. Hervey sells the bearings by themselves if you want to do the installation yourself. The Refurbished AC Pulley Bracket is only $49.95, so I though it was worth it to have a like new part. There is a $100 core charge however, but it can be avoided if you send your pulleys in first. The installation went fine, you just need to remember the correct order of everything (especially where the little spacer go). So far, I'm happy with this part and I recommend you consider it if you're about to tackle this job.
    Attached Images
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    00778 and Formerly 06770.

I did this too. Very happy with it 1-2 years later. No problems, look great.

Just FYI the bearing is a standard size made by loads of companies. This "blue seal" claim is just the one manufacturer. I use www.simplybearings.co.uk and spend only a few $ but I'm sure there're similar suppliers stateside.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

My VIN:    16409

I want to add if you are doing a pulley refresh, take a look at the Cam cover plate. Mine actually fell off when I removed the bracket. Now would be a good time to replace the O-ring seal. It looks like the previous owner used some RTV or something similar to seal it up. At first, I didn't notice the O-ring was still there, but I discovered RTV was "hiding" it. The old O-ring was really hard and brittle and it snapped in half. I'm guessing they had to use the RTV to make the seal because the O-rong wasn't doing its job anymore.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California