FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Engine mount torque specs

My VIN:    5625

Engine mount torque specs

Does anyone know the engine mount torque specs? Not the small bolts that hold the mount to the frame, but the two nylocks that are on the shaft holding the motor to the mount.

Thanks in advance
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Does anyone know the engine mount torque specs? Not the small bolts that hold the mount to the frame, but the two nylocks that are on the shaft holding the motor to the mount.

Thanks in advance
    The workshop manual says 18 lbs but does not say which of the two bolt sizes it refers to. My guess is that's for the mount to frame M8 fasteners. The M10 mount to engine studs should be higher. Since they are likely not 10.9 hardness like the transmission case bolts I'd suggest a lower torque of about 25 to 28 lbs.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

+1

WSM- "A:03:02
    ... Final Drive:
    _8 mm 18 lb.ft. - 25 Nm
    10 mm 26 lb.ft. - 36 Nm"

My VIN:    5625

Ok, so they may be more like 40lbs. Do I need to worry about loosing them up? Also, I notice now that the new motor mounts are installed I have a defined engine vibration at idle. Giving it some thottle gets rid of the vibration, but at idle the whole motor shakes much more than it did before. Should I have run the motor prior to tightening anything completely to center the mounts?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

40 lbs. is a bit high...
    In general, Nylock Nuts should be tightened to the standard specification for its grade, plus, the amount it takes to turn the nut alone (friction from "lock").
    With an OEM nut, you simply torque it to the OEM given spec. (26 lb.ft.).

If all of the mounting bolts aligned up w/o forcing anything when you installed them, you should be good to go on the position.
    Sounds like maybe you had vibrations before and it is because everything is new and tight IE now transferring to a different part/not anymore, etc.)
    Or, check for something else changing EG part bumping, vac leak,...basic tune check??