FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Coolant Under Waterpump

My VIN:    Early

Coolant Under Waterpump

So I drove my car roughly 150 miles yesterday, and all went well with my coolant temp maxing out at 211 degrees. As I checked the engine last night, I found coolant residue directly under my water pump pulley. I checked under the intake with a light, and the valley is dry.
    image.jpg

Could it be a pump failure or even a leaky passenger side hose?

Also, I did find a few drops of coolant at the end of the overflow hose. Would that signify a bad cap?
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

It's either the pump leaking, or one of those elbow shaped hoses. Go to an auto parts store and rent a coolant pressure tester. That will make identifying the leak much easier.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    It's either the pump leaking, or one of those elbow shaped hoses. Go to an auto parts store and rent a coolant pressure tester. That will make identifying the leak much easier.
    Will have to test with my pressure tester late tonight.

After driving it about 20 miles this morning, there doesn't seem to be any more leaking. I wonder if the high temps of 211 or 212 in the last two days caused it to push some coolant out?
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Now that I look more closely at it, this residue under the hose seems suspicious, doesn't it?
    image.jpg

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Now that I look more closely at it, this residue under the hose seems suspicious, doesn't it?
    image.jpg
    I've had problems with those elbow hoses before. For whatever reason, they seem particularly difficult to seal.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    4055

Club(s):   (DMA)

if you have a boroscope (inspection camera) you can stick it down underneath the fuel distributor and intake manifold to see if there's any coolant in the valley.

that said, the location of your coolant looks more like the weep hole for the water pump starting to, well, weep, as seals inside the pump may be starting to fail.

get under the rear with a nice bright flashlight and look up towards the underside of the waterpump just behind the pulley and see if there's any residue in/around the weep hole.

Found the culprit.
    image.jpg
    It was coming from the weep hole. However, it only leaked one time. With that, I'll leave it until the end of the week since I'm using the car as my temporary daily.

I sure as hell hope it isn't a failure since the pump is nearly a brand new Gates pump...

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Hate to break it to you but coolant from the weep hole isn't a good sign. I had a brand new pump weep right from the get go, so it happens
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Hate to break it to you but coolant from the weep hole isn't a good sign. I had a brand new pump weep right from the get go, so it happens
    If it is a brandy new pump a slight weeping may not be bad if it stops quickly. If it continues or gets worse the pump seal is leaking and the pump must be rebuilt or replaced. Sometimes a new pump will leak a little bit til the seal seats itself in. If you ran the motor at all without coolant with the new pump you burnt the seal and it will get worse.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If it is a brandy new pump a slight weeping may not be bad if it stops quickly. If it continues or gets worse the pump seal is leaking and the pump must be rebuilt or replaced. Sometimes a new pump will leak a little bit til the seal seats itself in. If you ran the motor at all without coolant with the new pump you burnt the seal and it will get worse.
    I think this is the case since it hasn't leaked since I created this thread. I guess I'll check again Thursday or Friday.