FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Exhaust tips

My VIN:    5625

Exhaust tips

Hey guys-

I have a generation 1 spec 1 DMC exhaust system. (mild steel that has been jet coated silver). I bought the system used from a member here a couple years back. First off, I want to say that a spec 1 exhaust over stock is a phenomenal upgrade! Unfortunately, at no fault of the seller, my package must have been dropped on its journey to AK and one of the tips were damaged in shipping. So basically I had 1 tip that was round while the other not so much. I hammered it out the best I could, but regrettably that tip would never be round again.... At first the bent up tip didn't bug me, but now that I have had the system installed for a couple years, it sure does now. Though most people don't notice it, I do every time I look at the car from the rear.

So... you guessed it..... I am looking to replace my exhaust tips. At first I just wanted replacement DMC spec 1 tips with the DMC printed on them, as I figured they would just be plug n play. However, the jury is still out with DMC regarding purchasing just the new tips.... I'm starting to think that either they don't want to sell them individually from the whole exhaust system, or the new generation of DMC spec 1 tips are not compatible with the old mild steel generation 1 tips. This due to the fact that I have not received either a call/email back yet with an answer either way for the better part of 2 weeks. They say they are working on finding out if the tips are offered separately...... Am I crazy to think that a company that sells an expensive exhaust system, should also sell each component that makes up that expensive exhaust system separately? I know crazy right...?!?

So....first I guess I should ask: does anyone have a set of generation 1 DMC mild steel exhaust tips that are in good shape for sale?

What I really wanted were these.....

dmc exhaust tip.jpg

Unfortunately, It appears I may be forced in going with custom tips on my spec 1. Does anyone here have custom exhaust tips, and if so, how large did you go and what style? i.e., slanted, round, rolled..., What are they made out of? stainless steel, chrome, etc.....? If you have custom exhaust tips, please post a pic and a general description of the system and size(diameter). What about resonator tips? Would they cut down on the drone from highway speeds? I am also looking for any advice on what some of these tips will do with age and heat depending on what they are made of.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Just for reference a DMC spec 1 generation 1 tips are welded to a 2.375" 90 degree elbow that goes into the muffler. The tips themselves are 2.5" angle cut tips.
    Last edited by Trstno1; 10-20-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

You're a little crazy. Lol. I would NOT expect any vendor to have individual parts of a whole exhaust system for sale except for maybe clamps and gaskets.

If i were you I'd take it to a GOOD muffler shop and have them weld on new tips of your liking.

OR

Toby recently was rear ended and his DMCH STAGE 1 system is toast. One tip might be salvageable though, you could call him up and ask?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    You're a little crazy. Lol. I would NOT expect any vendor to have individual parts of a whole exhaust system for sale except for maybe clamps and gaskets.

If i were you I'd take it to a GOOD muffler shop and have them weld on new tips of your liking.

OR

Toby recently was rear ended and his DMCH STAGE 1 system is toast. One tip might be salvageable though, you could call him up and ask?

We stock stand alone replacement parts for our SPEC I system.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    We stock stand alone replacement parts for our SPEC I system.
    I stand corrected!
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    I stand corrected!
    I just didn't want to get bunched into the bad inventory habits of others!

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

First to clarify, there is no such thing as a DMC Spec 1. Spec 1 is the term used by DPI - perhaps to create confusion in the marketplace, as seems to be the case here - while the original DMC Stage I (and Stage II/Stage III engine) terminology goes back to the year 2000/2001.

Over the last 15+ years, the design has evolved in different ways. It's very likely that the tips we use now will fit on the exhaust that you have - but they may not. In the event of an accident or your case, shipping damage, of course we have spare parts available.

As I understand it, you may have originally inquired of DMCMW - I just heard about this yesterday afternoon when Stephanie reached out to us to ask about it. Either that or there are two people wanting DMC logo tips now! I'm sorry that if you inquired of them two weeks ago and we were just asked about them by DMCMW. Feel free to reach out to me directly and we'll see what we can do for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Hey guys-

I have a generation 1 spec 1 DMC exhaust system. (mild steel that has been jet coated silver). I bought the system used from a member here a couple years back. First off, I want to say that a spec 1 exhaust over stock is a phenomenal upgrade! Unfortunately, at no fault of the seller, my package must have been dropped on its journey to AK and one of the tips were damaged in shipping. So basically I had 1 tip that was round while the other not so much. I hammered it out the best I could, but regrettably that tip would never be round again.... At first the bent up tip didn't bug me, but now that I have had the system installed for a couple years, it sure does now. Though most people don't notice it, I do every time I look at the car from the rear.

So... you guessed it..... I am looking to replace my exhaust tips. At first I just wanted replacement DMC spec 1 tips with the DMC printed on them, as I figured they would just be plug n play. However, the jury is still out with DMC regarding purchasing just the new tips.... I'm starting to think that either they don't want to sell them individually from the whole exhaust system, or the new generation of DMC spec 1 tips are not compatible with the old mild steel generation 1 tips. This due to the fact that I have not received either a call/email back yet with an answer either way for the better part of 2 weeks. They say they are working on finding out if the tips are offered separately...... Am I crazy to think that a company that sells an expensive exhaust system, should also sell each component that makes up that expensive exhaust system separately? I know crazy right...?!?

So....first I guess I should ask: does anyone have a set of generation 1 DMC mild steel exhaust tips that are in good shape for sale?

What I really wanted were these.....

dmc exhaust tip.jpg

Unfortunately, It appears I may be forced in going with custom tips on my spec 1. Does anyone here have custom exhaust tips, and if so, how large did you go and what style? i.e., slanted, round, rolled..., What are they made out of? stainless steel, chrome, etc.....? If you have custom exhaust tips, please post a pic and a general description of the system and size(diameter). What about resonator tips? Would they cut down on the drone from highway speeds? I am also looking for any advice on what some of these tips will do with age and heat depending on what they are made of.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Just for reference a DMC spec 1 generation 1 tips are welded to a 2.375" 90 degree elbow that goes into the muffler. The tips themselves are 2.5" angle cut tips.

When you have a very small inventory, I would expect that it's easier to stock things. When you've got literally millions of parts, it's exponentially more difficult. That said, I think we do a pretty good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    I just didn't want to get bunched into the bad inventory habits of others!
    James Espey, President
    DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
    http://www.lcassicdmc.com

The difference is we have an inventory of desirable parts. Not 30,000 wiper motor units etc.

You can take your underperforming misrepresented "stage" terminology and shove it up your.....

My VIN:    No. 4068

I think it'd be better to keep responses professional and not get into a 'last post wins' situation. Instead of giving a bit of blinding to each other Sirs, it'll keep things simply lovely this way. Be seeing you
    Last edited by NckT; 10-20-2017 at 06:13 PM.
    RIP Rob van de Veer Top bloke

I say Sir, I must be mad, one loves fixing K-Jet !

Make sure there's plenty in the tank for the weekend chaps....

Nope.

My VIN:    10201

1982 exhaust tips are similar in shape to the stage 1 tips. You might be able to find 2 of them and have them fitted on.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast