FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: That smoke looks cool.... WAIT!

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Larger wire will just increase the currents because it provides less voltage drop.
    I'm sorry, but are you saying that larger wire will make the problem worse?
    Bigger wire is always better because it has lower resistance... the calculation for power dissipated in a resistor is I^2 * R. If you can halve your wire resistance, the power dissipated in those wires will only be half as much. If you can halve the current going through those wires, though, by buying better fans, then the wires will only have to dissipate 25% as much power as before. Doing both would be best, obviously.
    Of course, the spade terminals probably have much more resistance than those wires do, but it's silly to say that larger wire will make the problem worse. Or if I misunderstood you, then my apologies.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    I'm sorry, but are you saying that larger wire will make the problem worse?
    Bigger wire is always better because it has lower resistance... the calculation for power dissipated in a resistor is I^2 * R. If you can halve your wire resistance, the power dissipated in those wires will only be half as much. If you can halve the current going through those wires, though, by buying better fans, then the wires will only have to dissipate 25% as much power as before. Doing both would be best, obviously.
    Of course, the spade terminals probably have much more resistance than those wires do, but it's silly to say that larger wire will make the problem worse. Or if I misunderstood you, then my apologies.
    Your correct that larger wire will make the wire run cooler. It also reduces the voltage drop over the wire and therefor you get more voltage at the fans. Current draw of the fans goes up as voltage is increased. My OEM fan I use for testing will draw 19.6 amps at 15 volts.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3