FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Rear Flex Brake Lines

My VIN:    04629

Replacing Rear Flex Brake Lines

Fellow Owners,
    Are there any tricks or additional suggestions to replacing these lines? I have been able to remove/replace the LR Flex line, but the one on the RR is a major PITA to reach much less remove.(there are 2 cooling lines and an A/C line here @ this location)
    I've removed the 'splash panel' and was able to remove the Flex line from the trailing arm fixture, but the other end...........impossible!
    Any suggestions to remove any additional parts(s) would be very helpful. My hands are killing me!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by ritztoys View Post
    Fellow Owners,
    Are there any tricks or additional suggestions to replacing these lines? I have been able to remove/replace the LR Flex line, but the one on the RR is a major PITA to reach much less remove.(there are 2 cooling lines and an A/C line here @ this location)
    I've removed the 'splash panel' and was able to remove the Flex line from the trailing arm fixture, but the other end...........impossible!
    Any suggestions to remove any additional parts(s) would be very helpful. My hands are killing me!
    If you have removed the locknut and the hose is stuck in the frame, just get a hammer and pound it out. Since you are replacing it, it doesn't matter if you damage it.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you have removed the locknut and the hose is stuck in the frame, just get a hammer and pound it out. Since you are replacing it, it doesn't matter if you damage it.
    Hello David,
    Thanks for your reply, I don't think I can 'swing' a hammer in the cavity (inside frame located next to transmission) Yes, all fasteners have been removed, the Flex line is very tight in it's holding place(hex holder) other than hopefully getting Vise Grips to reach, I hope to wiggle it out. There's just so little room there, for tools much less my hands!

I miss spoke before, the right side(on the frame) has all the cooling lines right under this location, making any work there very frustrating.

Would removing said cooling lines make this job any easier? Or can they flex enough to get out of the way?

My VIN:    6125

I had a hard time with the flex lines where they mounted to the trailing arms...that thin metal was too easy to bend and the epoxy liked to crack. I ended up using a big C clamp and a stack of washers to press the fittings out.

The other end of the flex line through the frame I just hammered out after cutting the end of the flex line short up to the fitting. I think using a hammer tends to be a pretty common method and unless you're a total caveman with your technique you should be able to avoid damaging any paint around the fitting. If you tap the opposite end from the sides a few times first that can help loosen it up and expand the hex shaped cup that is welded to the frame.

From what I saw on my car it looked like the frame epoxy was somewhat soft when the flex lines were installed and the hex portion of the fitting was squashed down into the epoxy as it finally cured.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I had a hard time with the flex lines where they mounted to the trailing arms...that thin metal was too easy to bend and the epoxy liked to crack. I ended up using a big C clamp and a stack of washers to press the fittings out.

The other end of the flex line through the frame I just hammered out after cutting the end of the flex line short up to the fitting. I think using a hammer tends to be a pretty common method and unless you're a total caveman with your technique you should be able to avoid damaging any paint around the fitting. If you tap the opposite end from the sides a few times first that can help loosen it up and expand the hex shaped cup that is welded to the frame.

From what I saw on my car it looked like the frame epoxy was somewhat soft when the flex lines were installed and the hex portion of the fitting was squashed down into the epoxy as it finally cured.
    Thanks Mark,
    The Flex line "bolts" came out OK on my trailing arms, but the attachment point to the frame has been very frustrating to remove said lines.

On the drivers side I was able to attach a Vice Grip on the metal part and wiggle back and forth(with penetrating oil) and finally came out.

The passenger side has all those cooling hoses(right under this location) where the Flex line attaches to the frame.

Is there really enough room to "swing" a hammer inside the area where the Flex line attaches to the rigid brake line?

I don't think I could get a deep C Clamp in there to push out the metal end of the brake line, what do you guys think?(haven't tried this yet, just thinking of ways to get it out)

My VIN:    3462

Club(s):   (DOI)

Worked every time for me
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Worked every time for me
    Thanks John,
    Looks like a very useful tool, although I have removed the 'swing arm end' of the brake flex line, where this would have been great to use.

My issue is removing the end from the frame center mounting. Several have said to use a hammer (in this cavity) to knock out the end of the flex line.

I've had to rest for a few days to heal from 'thin-skinned' bruises, will attempt to swing a hammer in the cavity soon.

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by ritztoys View Post
    Is there really enough room to "swing" a hammer inside the area where the Flex line attaches to the rigid brake line?
    I had a similar issue. What I did both on my D and another during a tech session was to put the nut back on, but only a few threads. This gives you a large surface to hammer against. I then took a large wrench and put the open end against the nut. This allowed me to swing the hammer below the car against the wrench which then transferred the blows to the line fitting. Took a lot of hammering, but they eventually came out.

My VIN:    3462

Club(s):   (DOI)

I though you were referring to the other end.
    Not sure how I removed it....probably have blocked out that traumatic memory!

Suggest that you put some grease in there when replacing hose to make it easier to remove next time.
    20170623_154343_resized_1.jpg

(image is upside down)
    Robert
    Belfast

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast