FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Dash Camera recomendations

Dash Camera recomendations

I'm looking for a small dash cam. Since I don't drive the car that much just looking for a simple camera for piece on mind if something did happen.

It would be also interesting to see who comes up to your car when you are not around.

Jim

DashCamTalk.com is a great resource here. It's a comparison site and forum for dash cameras. I'm on the forums there as Shep, same username as here.

There's a few "go to" recommendations in general. Standby operation, you're going to want to be very careful on that one. Most dash cams run off your car battery, and with the summer heat, having a dedicated battery internal to the camera is a terrible idea. For an excellent cheap camera, I recommend the Mobius. Lots of features in a tiny $80 package.

Probably best to sign up to that forum and check out the What Should I Buy? subforum.

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

I have a Viofo A119S in my other vehicles. Install it w/ a hardwire kit and it's the most unobstrusive, low-profile dashcam you can get. Solid price too; less than $100. Great quality video, does all the stuff you want a dashcam to do.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    it's the most unobstrusive, low-profile dashcam you can get
    Not even close. Wedge cams are, by default, not unobtrusive nor low profile, especially ones with a big honkin' screen on it. It's thin, but it is pretty visible due to the large footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    Great quality video
    Now THAT I can agree with! It's got really good quality, maybe not the best at night, but in the daytime it's phenomenal. Ultimately, don't even take anyone else's word for it, look at comparison videos on YouTube. DashCamTalk has videos on most of the cameras pages as well so you can see before you buy.

Nighttime use, GitUp is making excellent strides in this one. Their newest F1 camera is about the best out there right now, and it's 4K! Only real issue with that: the bigger the resolution, the less time you can store on the same card. 4K tops out at no more than 8 hours right now, which isn't a lot. Recommended to run at 1080p @ 30 FPS if running at night, otherwise 1080p @ 60 FPS will do great. I have a Git1 and it worked wonders, they have discontinued it however.

Street Guardian is another really good one at night. Their ...GC cameras have always worked wonders for me, they're coming out with a new ...DC camera that I have pre-ordered. The video on their main page was captured with one of their cams by a semi truck driver. Insane to fathom.

Part of the challenge of nighttime is the speeds involved. It's easy to capture something at night when still, but when moving? Whole different ballgame.

Dash cameras are always an indisputable witness, I cannot recommend them enough. I have had three accidents without them and one with them, guess which one went over the smoothest?

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Not even close. Wedge cams are, by default, not unobtrusive nor low profile, especially ones with a big honkin' screen on it. It's thin, but it is pretty visible due to the large footprint.
    This is the one in my daily driver (Versa Note). It's just as subtle in my wifes Altima, and in my Jeep XJ. I have one that will be going into the Delorean next week when it is roadworthy again.

I can just see the record/save button while driving, I've hit it plenty of times to catch crazy drivers with no issue. If I need to edit the settings, I just move the mirror to the side to see the screen.

I really can't think of a more unobtrusive or subtle camera.

IMG_4935.jpgIMG_4934.jpg
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    3294

I've got the REXING V1 dash camera in my car. It came with some funky adhesive mount that could stick to the windshield, but I opted to purchase a separate suction cup mount so we could easily transfer it from car to car. I also purchased the optional hardwired kit, and have it permanently installed in the Delorean. I tucked the wire under the headliner, down behind the A pillar trim on the passenger side of the windshield, under and behind the dash, under the console and have it tapped into the turn signal circuit on the fuse box. As soon as I turn the key, the camera comes on and immediately starts recording until I shut the car off. I don't really notice it being in the car, and it's not distracting at night.. if you turn the screen off.

I got mine on Amazon pretty cheap. There are other cameras out there that are better, but this one does what it's supposed to do and I've never had an issue with it yet.

Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    Early

I have a Rexing s300 dash cam in my Dodge truck. I wired the mini USB into switched 12v, and it records and turns the screen off automatically. It stores videos in intervals and deletes the oldest when necessary.

Very useful when some idiot jumps in front of you and jambs on the brakes...
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3