FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How much is your time worth?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    Update: I texted him (only because I'd said I'd think about it and didn't want to leave him hanging) and told him it was too much time and fuel for that price. He asked if I'd take $75 after all but I suggested he try to find somebody closer to where he lived.
    Good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    +1

The guy who offered $50 is the type of person who won't respect your time, your car, or you as a person. I agree it's best not to accept calls from him going forward.
    All right, I'll offer a bit of a counter point...

There are lots of car owners who enjoy just showing off their cars to people and don't see it as a business opportunity (not that there is anything wrong with treating it as a business). This guy might have hoped you were a person looking for an excuse to drive your car and show it to a bunch of people, and figured $50-75 would be a bonus to sweeten the deal and show it to a bunch of kids. No malicious, disrespect, or ill-will intended.

If someone asked me to bring my car (not a DeLorean) to a kids birthday party, I'd almost certainly do it for free as long as it fit into my schedule... not because I'm a better person than anyone else, but just because I like showing my car to people who I think will appreciate it. If that same person offered to pay me, then I'd consider it a bonus (but probably not take the money). Again, I don't mean to suggest that there is anything wrong with charging people, but not everyone sees it the same way, and to assume that this guy is "the type of person who won't respect your time, your car, or you as a person" is assuming a bit too much IMHO.

My VIN:    10907

Quote Originally Posted by PJK View Post

There are lots of car owners who enjoy just showing off their cars to people and don't see it as a business opportunity (not that there is anything wrong with treating it as a business). This guy might have hoped you were a person looking for an excuse to drive your car and show it to a bunch of people, and figured $50-75 would be a bonus to sweeten the deal and show it to a bunch of kids. No malicious, disrespect, or ill-will intended.
    Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. If I'd had the whole day off and could have combined the trip with taking some shoes to get resoled at the shop down there and getting lunch at a restaurant I like, I might have considered it even for $50 b/c I don't mind driving my car (and have been known to drive around for an hour just to go to IHOP because I had some three-week-old gas to burn up) but I was going to have to drop my friend at the airport and then go home and get the car, haul ass down there, hustle everybody through their photo ops and then haul ass back to get to work on time. It was just going to be a little too much like work, for a fraction of what either my real or freelance job would pay.

My VIN:    6585

If someone asked me to bring my car (not a DeLorean) to a kids birthday party, I'd almost certainly do it for free as long as it fit into my schedule... not because I'm a better person than anyone else, but just because I like showing my car to people who I think will appreciate it. If that same person offered to pay me, then I'd consider it a bonus (but probably not take the money). Again, I don't mean to suggest that there is anything wrong with charging people, but not everyone sees it the same way, and to assume that this guy is "the type of person who won't respect your time, your car, or you as a person" is assuming a bit too much IMHO.
    What you do with your car is your business, so I'm not going to judge on that. But let's be honest here. The guy asked for a price, was given one, and rather than bowing out because it didn't fit within his budget, he decided to go ahead and try and haggle. If I needed to rent a vehicle for an event, I would respect the prices given by the person with the vehicle. Now let's say they tell me that a rental is "X" amount per hour, and I only want the car for 30 minutes, I might at that point go ahead and ask about breaking the rate down into sub-blocks depending upon the situation. But keep in mind that is in extremely poor taste if I'm not even fulfilling the minimum amount of time offered. Which is what is figured in to cover the owner's basic expenses.

Getting cheap as hell and countering $50 on an already massively discounted rate? Nope. That absolutely tells me that I sure as hell don't want to deal with this person. And it's not as though this person was that hard-up for the cash since they then tried to come back with wanting to pay the full amount. I've dealt with people like this before with selling vehicles who give you ridiculous offers, and it's far more trouble than it's worth.

Again, what you do with your car is up to you. But personally, after 17 years of ownership I'm done with trying to seek out attention. After pulling my car out of storage I left it on the trailer while I ran into Walmart for less than 20 minutes. I come back out and even covered in dust and on a trailer the car already had people taking pictures when I came back outside, and started answering questions. As a daily driver I've been stopped to answer questions and been late to more appointments than I care to remember because of the interactions. That isn't to say I don't like people, nor the attention. It's good fun, and very rewarding when I encounter respectable people who have honest questions. But I certainly don't need to seek attention out, it will always find me.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    4519

I would totally agree with this if the guy hadn't tried to negotiate her price down....

Woah, back up, don't lump us all in the same boat here on the premise that we're assuming too much about a guy while simultaneously throwing assumptions from the opposite there, let's establish a few things first.

I hit on the points you made when I mentioned renting vs. getting to know people vs. family/friends. If a family member or friend wants my car for an appearance, I will move my schedule around to make it happen. If someone invites me to a meet and greet of sorts, I'll case-by-case it. Otherwise, if a stranger wants my car somewhere, yeah they gotta pay reasonably. This was far from reasonable.

But here's the basic facts.

1) Complete stranger
    2) Wanted for a kid's birthday party
    3) Lowball counteroffer of a generously low price
    4) Two hour drive
    5) 15 minute appearance

This does not at all fit in with the kind of person that will have a good time with the car. Let's be honest, he seriously lowballed. The offer was $75, he cut a third off of that. A third! That guy isn't going to respect the car let alone you or your time. (Pawn Stars, anyone?) He also is doing this for a kid's birthday party, which can't be forgotten here. He wanted something for the event. He's got options, and chose to disrespect the DeLorean with a lowball offer. There's no assuming about it, if it's not worth the money to him, he's not seriously interested and given it's a kids birthday party, extreme caution needs to be exercised. Are you willing to bet damage minus $50 on whether or not he's the kind of guy to not give a shit and stiff you with the bill?

Good luck fitting two hours of feeling taken advantage of into your weekend schedule by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I would totally agree with this if the guy hadn't tried to negotiate her price down....
    images-6.jpg

If she had said 50 he would have immediately offered 25. If she had said 500 he would have offered 250. I'm willing to bet stanley nickles to shrute bucks he has already texted her back and offered 100.

I do a lot of buying and selling guns. I always get lowalball offers or the tried and true "what's the lowest you will take for it?" B.S.
    If you do respond with your lowest price, without batting an eye they offer you less. What the heck, they are not out anything by trying to steal it and they have an unending amount of gall and no shame. Same goes with this joker.

And that, gentlemen, is exactly why I used to price all my parts so goddamn high with "or best offer". Buyer walks away thinking they got a steal, I gladly sell knowing I got a fair price for it. Start with a high price and work down, both parties leave happier than if you start at a low price and play the "who'll budge more?" game.

I think a lot of the negativity -- hell I know a lot of MY negativity -- is because this guy took a generous offer and slashed it. If it weren't so generous by default though?

(Speaking of selling parts, I need to get on that... I have a few thousand -- er, few... dozen... -- dollars worth of shi-- er, items! -- I need to sell.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post

(Speaking of selling parts, I need to get on that... I have a few thousand -- er, few... dozen... -- dollars worth of shi-- er, items! -- I need to sell.)
    What's the lowest you will take?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast