FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: SpecialTAuto New Battery Ground Cables

My VIN:    16409

SpecialTAuto New Battery Ground Cables

I was perusing Hervey's web site the other day and I came across his new battery ground cables:

These two cables replace the single original one. The longer cable goes from the battery's negative terminal to a bolt on the transmission. The shorter cables goes from that same bolt to the original grounding spot which is next to the trailing arm bushing. This new set up sounded like a good idea, so I ordered a set of the cables.

When I removed the original ground wire, I inspected it to see if it was bad. If you look at the pictures, you can see why a new ground cable is in order. The frame terminal pulled off very easily, and you can see some stray wires on the battery terminal end.

It doesn't take very long to install the new wires. The tricky part may be removing the original ground cable because you need to remove the bolt which also attaches the trailing arm bushing plate. If you haven't done this before, these bolts are usually double nutted. One of the nuts is welded onto the frame, and the other is a free spinning one. If you don't remove the free spinning nut first, you are liable to snap the bolt off. I recommend doing this on wheel ramps so the weight of the car is on the suspension. The bolt in question will come out and will go back in easier.

When you route the new ground cables, the shorter one will interfere with the passenger air deflector plate (trailing arm cover). To fix this, I cut a new "gap" in the plate to accommodate the cable. It worked out well. Even if you don't get this new upgrade, I suggest you check your ground cable for wear, and at least replace it with a NOS one.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 07-02-2011 at 02:57 AM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Chris,

Im glad you installed this, because I have it sitting in my living room right now. Was going to install it next weekend. Question for you: The new mounting terminal - where did you run it to? I remember the website saying to run it to a transmission bolt or something like that.
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

Hey Mike I'm attaching some pictures of the installed cables. The cables attach to the transmission bolt closest to the "end cap." I tried another bolt in the middle of the transmission, but the shorter cable didn't reach back to the frame. The other pictures show how the cables are routed once the air deflector plate is installed. You can see my modification of the plate to allow the shorter cable through. The brass mounting stud goes to the negative terminal of the battery. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 05-28-2011 at 02:25 PM.
    Chris Miles

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

EXCELLENT pictures! Thanks Chris! That will definitely help alot!
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

I installed these yesterday. They are very high quality. However due to the shortness of the two cables, I had limited choices on how to route and connect them. I ended up running from the battery to the transmission mounting bracket and from there to the trailing arm bushing retainer. However, if both of the cables were little longer, I could have run them cleaner through the heater hose hole above the frame so that I wouldnt have to run them under the frame with the parking brake cable and also cut/modify the existing hole in the trailing arm shield/air deflector so it can be reinstalled....
    I'd like to see pics and instructions of where and how they are suppossed to be routed and connected from Hervey.
    Also, after thinking about it, are two cables really necessary? If you connect to either the trailing arm or transmission they two are grounded to each other anyway. Clearly, connecting to the transmission is the way to go at the bracket..the rest of the chassis is then covered along with the drivetrain....

Just my two cents on this product...

My VIN:    3299

I have bought this as well and will be installing around July 15th. Auto transmission for me, and as I understand there are two different kits depending on the transmissions. So, does the battery cable go to the frame, and then the other wire go from the frame to the transmission? Just wanted to ask those who have already made the install.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    02766

Wow I havent seen that on his site before.. guess I need to go there more often! When I was trying to figure out some issues going on with mine I tracked down the frame terminal bolt and it was rusted something terrible- I ended up replacing it with a stainless one. Good tip to check that!
    Living the Dream... on sunny days and weekends

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    So, does the battery cable go to the frame, and then the other wire go from the frame to the transmission? Just wanted to ask those who have already made the install.
    I installed this on my manual transmission. Here's what you do:

-Remove the original ground wire going from the battery to the frame (bolt that holds the trailing arm bushing plate on)

-Take the longer of the two cables and run it from the negative terminal on the battery to the transmission. Use the bolt that's closest to the front of the car.

-Run the shorter wire from the same bolt of the transmission back to the original frame mounting spot.
    Chris Miles

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    I installed this on my manual transmission. Here's what you do:

-Remove the original ground wire going from the battery to the frame (bolt that holds the trailing arm bushing plate on)

-Take the longer of the two cables and run it from the negative terminal on the battery to the transmission. Use the bolt that's closest to the front of the car.

-Run the shorter wire from the same bolt of the transmission back to the original frame mounting spot.
    Thank you, sir!
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DeloreanJoshQ View Post
    Also, after thinking about it, are two cables really necessary?
    No but I like the idea of reduncancy. I installed Hervey's ground wire about a month ago and am very happy with the results. My old wire seemed fine upon inspection but after installing the new ground wires I noticed my volt gauge reading about one volt higher.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast