FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: SPLIT FROM -- Carburetor Troubles...Car is Completely Useless

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

No. Locking the thread wouldn't help her, or anything else... ~20% of the posts could. So, I split them to the Carb section where she would be better served anyway...
    Although it's getting a bit ?aggressive?, the remainder has its pros and cons and here is as good a place as any....

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Looks like it. My post was moved but that thread is locked...
    My fault...I had a tab open fixing an attachment while chasing a bot down. Try again or refresh.
    Sorry!

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by dmruschell View Post
    Did you really not get that "duel mixture" was a typo from my phone's autocorrect? It should be "fuel mixture".
    No I did not. There is a history of people who recklessly tinker with K-Jet and will start fiddling with the Idle Screws to fix problems with surging idles instead of properly repairing their vehicles. So it isn't that unreasonable to beleive that is what someone could be alluding to with that sentence. If it was a typo, then I do understand the mistake in that case.

I'm not going to bother reading and responding to every word of your response, as it's already been a waste of enough of my time.
    Of course you won't. Because why risk encountering something that challenges your personal views? It's far better to embrace culpable deniability than to risk being wrong, isn't it?

I didn't have any experience with carbs until just a few years ago. It's called learning.
    And that right there is the entire root of my argument. That right there. To which I will reference Farrar's own words in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    If this is the attitude you gave Bill, then I'm not surprised he had little time for you. He's not going to explain stuff to you like you're five. He's going to assume you have done your homework and just need him to point you in the right direction.
    That is the whole entire root of the issue with these carburetor conversions, and precisely what I predicted what would happen about 5-6 years ago when I first started speaking with Bill about carburetor conversions, and he scoffed at the idea of helping people with complete how-to guides. I also clearly stated the following in my last post, and I'll say it again because it bears repeating:
    This whole bullshit attitude of telling someone with a carburetor problem that the information they need is out there, so they're responsible for their own success needs to stop. That's not what this community is about.
    While the DeLorean wasn't my first car (3rd) I did get it at an early age over 17 years ago, and it's what I learned car repair on. But the main reasons for my success in ownership was that I had other owners in the community who helped me in the over 21 years I've had in with the marque as a whole. They answered my questions when I had them. When I was wrong about something, they corrected me and guided me to the correct answer. When I asked for additional resources, they pointed me in the right direction. What they didn't do was shun me with generic answers about how I have to go and learn things first to somehow prove myself worthy of daring to ask questions. They mentored me from the begining. Something that is clearly not happening here with these carburetor conversions, and I'm sure is going to happen again.

I don't have a carb, and it's not the way I'm going to go moving forward. But tell me, what is so difficult about educating your fellow owners that need your help? What's with the elitist attitude where you all relish in alienating them?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    This whole bullshit attitude of telling someone with a carburetor problem that the information they need is out there, so they're responsible for their own success needs to stop. That's not what this community is about.
    While the DeLorean wasn't my first car (3rd) I did get it at an early age over 17 years ago, and it's what I learned car repair on. But the main reasons for my success in ownership was that I had other owners in the community who helped me in the over 21 years I've had in with the marque as a whole. They answered my questions when I had them. When I was wrong about something, they corrected me and guided me to the correct answer. When I asked for additional resources, they pointed me in the right direction. What they didn't do was shun me with generic answers about how I have to go and learn things first to somehow prove myself worthy of daring to ask questions. They mentored me from the begining. Something that is clearly not happening here with these carburetor conversions, and I'm sure is going to happen again.

I don't have a carb, and it's not the way I'm going to go moving forward. But tell me, what is so difficult about educating your fellow owners that need your help? What's with the elitist attitude where you all relish in alienating them?
    Not to add fuel to the fire, but you are spot on!

The whole point of the community is helping others, even if it takes a little explaining. Bottom line is, if you don't have a link or any helpful material to include, don't post anything.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    5786, 3196

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    No I did not. There is a history of people who recklessly tinker with K-Jet and will start fiddling with the Idle Screws to fix problems with surging idles instead of properly repairing their vehicles. So it isn't that unreasonable to beleive that is what someone could be alluding to with that sentence. If it was a typo, then I do understand the mistake in that case.

Of course you won't. Because why risk encountering something that challenges your personal views? It's far better to embrace culpable deniability than to risk being wrong, isn't it?

And that right there is the entire root of my argument. That right there. To which I will reference Farrar's own words in this thread:

That is the whole entire root of the issue with these carburetor conversions, and precisely what I predicted what would happen about 5-6 years ago when I first started speaking with Bill about carburetor conversions, and he scoffed at the idea of helping people with complete how-to guides. I also clearly stated the following in my last post, and I'll say it again because it bears repeating:

This whole bullshit attitude of telling someone that they need an Alpine carb setup, put KJet back on their car, or convert to EFI instead of helping them figure out how to use what is on their car needs to stop.
    -Derrin

5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build, DPI rebuilt engine with performance cams and exhaust

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1972 Buick Skylark GS 455 Clone
    1975 Corvette (to be sold once restored)
    1976 Corvette (wife's car)
    1979 Corvette Daily Driver
    1987 Corvette (technically wife's car)

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Derrin and Robert should get a room.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Not to add fuel to the fire, but you are spot on!

The whole point of the community is helping others, even if it takes a little explaining. Bottom line is, if you don't have a link or any helpful material to include, don't post anything.
    Every carburetor conversion is likely to be slightly different. Most DeLorean owners don't know how to work on carburetors, so when someone does have an issue with a carb on their DeLorean, only a very small segment of this community can actually help. Directing someone to google information about their own particular carburetor will usually allow them to find the resources that can actually help them with the setup that is on their particular car. There are lots of resources out there for carburetors. The best any of us can do is google information about the OP's carburetor, which they can easily do themselves. There's a saying about giving someone a fish vs teaching them to fish that comes to mind.
    -Derrin

5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build, DPI rebuilt engine with performance cams and exhaust

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Derrin and Robert should get a room.
    You're just jealous.
    -Derrin

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

I'm looking forward to Robert's War & Peace long diatribe towards me for me not documenting my LS swap to the point where a monkey with a wrench could do it.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    4519

This whole bullshit attitude of telling someone that they need an Alpine carb setup, put KJet back on their car, or convert to EFI instead of helping them figure out how to use what is on their car needs to stop.
    +1

I like the way you think, mister!

Not trying to put a dog in the fight, but just to share what I believe to be a helpful opinion:

My car came with a carb conversion and was running, so when I started to have a few minor issues I figured out what to do with what I have on the car. I had all the K-Jet parts, but reverting to stock didn't seem like the fast path to success. I would've had the same approach if it came with a running K-Jet system (like my first DeLorean.) So when it comes to the carb in particular, I found a lot of resources and learned what I needed to do what I needed (and it wasn't too hard.)

Bill, Youtube videos, a bunch of guys on Today, and some older dudes who worked on carbs most of their life was everything I needed and I have it running good now. Looking back on what I've learned, I don't think it was too hard.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast