FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Porting and Polishing

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Porting and Polishing

Does anyone by any chance know what the measurable difference is between stock and port and polished heads with aggressive cams? Are we talking 3 hp? 5 hp? 10 hp........ 0.5 hp?!

Before I go spending the money i like to know its worth it, but i want this to be the first and last time the heads ever come off 3205 so i figure do it once and do it right or don't do it at all.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    1710

From what I’ve seen, most stock manual transmission DeLoreans make roughly 100hp at the wheels. Most Stage II cars seem to make about 140hp at the wheels. So a 40% bump in power for well under $10k while keeping the car mostly stock looking seems like a pretty decent proposition to me.
    Louie Golden

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Most of that can be attributed to the cams and the exhaust. On a small displacement motor like this, and without the valve sizes getting modified, porting and polishing isn't going to make a huge difference.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The heads on the PRV are already pretty good. Not rough iron castings like most American muscle that responds well to porting and polishing. While it can't hurt to port, polish, and gasket match. I don't think it is going to make a noticeable difference. The PRV does respond well to opening up the induction, and exhaust systems. The stock ones are VERY restrictive. More aggressive cams will then make a big difference.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10590

porting and polishing

from experience you gain 20-60 hp. blending the seats into the ports helps and opening the ports out to the gasket helps. the big question is how much to do this? You can do it yourself like I do and after porting get a valve job. then adding a performance cam will really wake it up. look on you tube for porting videos ,good luck

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

20 - 60? Sure, on an SBC or an LS, but certainly NOT a PRV.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

My engine in 11035 has the Spec 1 exhaust/no cats mod, larger air box with a K&N filter and CAI tube and a throttle body spacer. Stock heads and cams......... for now and i will say from a seat of your pants feeling, it is definitely a night and day difference over a stock DeLorean and it is much more responsive and the throttle is much more snappier and I have no problem hitting 60mph off the line. I'd say with the mods, that im probably pushing a 25hp gain? It feels it. A good porting and polishing will probably free up between 5 to 7 horsepower it's like Mike said and you polish the seeding real well. I dunno, mabye another 30 hp with cams. I will be really interested to see someone go from a stock engine and have it dynoed then slowly do mods to it from simple bolt ons to full cams and head work to see the gains. Simply getting rid of this cars induction system and exhaust system really does make the PRV engine way better then in stock form. I know I'm loving how my setup is and I have no problem revving my car to redline at times and she pulls very nice. 200hp (engine, not wheels) can be easily done with the right tricks.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    200hp (engine, not wheels) can be easily done with the right tricks.

200hp out of a 2.8L odd fire PRV with Kjet is not an easy task. Even at the crank.

You need to consider forced induction. Or get very aggressive with the heads, cams, rebuilding the bottom end for more compression (rods, pistons).

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    200hp out of a 2.8L odd fire PRV with Kjet is not an easy task. Even at the crank.

You need to consider forced induction. Or get very aggressive with the heads, cams, rebuilding the bottom end for more compression (rods, pistons).
    Yeah if you go a little deeper you can but I don't think it's going to be as bad as some think it is and the prv actually responds well to modifications but maybe not as simple as a small block Chevy engine. You might have to get a little bit more aggressive with the heads and maybe even slightly larger valves. I have never really dug too deep in a prv engine but I would love to find one so I can see what I can do with it

Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    Yeah if you go a little deeper you can but I don't think it's going to be as bad as some think it is and the prv actually responds well to modifications but maybe not as simple as a small block Chevy engine. You might have to get a little bit more aggressive with the heads and maybe even slightly larger valves. I have never really dug too deep in a prv engine but I would love to find one so I can see what I can do with it

Naturally aspirated I mean

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast