FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN Chronology

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    What would have caused a particular VIN to be built in a drastically different time of the year than those with VINs very near it? For example, VIN 2079 was built in Sept, but all the VINs close to it were built in June.
    If one VIN gets delayed compared to others around it, chances are there were problems in production and it had to be repaired/fixed/replaced before going out the factory. It wasn't a precise science, and things did screw up along the way. For example, maybe one of the workers accidentally rams some equipment into the rear quarterpanel just before the stainless panels go on, damaging the underbody, engine compartment, cabin, glass, etc., and now it has to be placed on the sidelines until they decide what to replace and what to repair, and then take the time to actually do it. They specialized in constructing DeLoreans, not repairing them, so repairs could take quite a bit of time sometimes, especially with the more complicated repairs.

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    What would have caused a particular VIN to be built in a drastically different time of the year than those with VINs very near it? For example, VIN 2079 was built in Sept, but all the VINs close to it were built in June.
    I think I can answer that. The September date for VIN 2079 was provided to me. I don't have a VIN photo to verify it. I suspect it's a false date and I beleive it should be June like the other cars around it.

The VINs from 500-960 seemed to vary. My guess is that they put the manufacture date on the plate when it was finally shipped out the door. Car that had issues might have been pulled to the side and finished later. That's why the dates vary. After VIN 960 the dates were pretty consistent. They changed the VIN plate style around VIN 1240 IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    The VINs from 500-960 seemed to vary. My guess is that they put the manufacture date on the plate when it was finally shipped out the door.
    Question then: where did you get the manufacture date of all the 500 VINs? The only place I've seen the date for 559 is in your list. Nothing in my records, and since I don't have a door jamb plate, I don't know when it was built other than your list. It makes sense though, if every VIN around it was made in March, mine was probably made then too. Just wondering if there's documentation I'm not aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by EMDF View Post
    Question then: where did you get the manufacture date of all the 500 VINs? The only place I've seen the date for 559 is in your list. Nothing in my records, and since I don't have a door jamb plate, I don't know when it was built other than your list. It makes sense though, if every VIN around it was made in March, mine was probably made then too. Just wondering if there's documentation I'm not aware of.
    You bring up a good point. Most of the dates come from VIN plates. Other times it came from owner emails, or articles in magazine. I'm going to remove the date unless I have further proof.

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    You bring up a good point. Most of the dates come from VIN plates. Other times it came from owner emails, or articles in magazine. I'm going to remove the date unless I have further proof.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to get rid of everything. Wouldn't adding a question mark (e.g. "Mar-81?") work for the ones you would otherwise remove? Makes more sense than removing it entirely; at least then we can see it's an educated guess.
    Last edited by Shep; 08-20-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Minor clarification

My VIN:    6157

Club(s):  

6157 is now in Barrington, NH

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

VIN# 6599 Is a grey 5 speed but, it now resides in Duncanville, Alabama.

Thanks!

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Vin 5835's new home

VIN 5835 "Boo" has a grey interior and a 5 speed (and a carberator) and she now resides in Baldwin, NY (Long Island)

Louis Duet (owner/operator)
    VIN 5835 "Boo"
    Baldwin, NY (Long Island)
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

My VIN:    5930

Club(s):   (ADOA)

5930 is in Hungary, that's true, but it's an Automatic. The city is Budapest.

Here is the latest and greatest edition of the Delorean VIN Chronology.
    Attached Files
    Shannon

Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast