FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast

Thread: VIN Chronology

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Speaking of gold plated cars, is the history of where they were plated known... e.g. at the factory or here in the US? I ask because when I was getting quotes for yellow zinc plating, I talked to a plater who said that a friend of his, who had also founded a plating company, relayed the story that he plated 2 Deloreans in gold many years ago. I didn't probe for more details as I thought they would have been plated at the factory, but I can if they may have been done here in the US, and if this is an unknown detail.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

They definitely weren't plated at the factory. They were plated elsewhere and attached to the two Amex cars at the factory.

Sorry, I don't recall where they were plated. I think it's in SSI and Nicks book, but I have neither with me.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Speaking of gold plated cars, is the history of where they were plated known... e.g. at the factory or here in the US?
    As noted in other reply the plating was not done in the US.

Also as noted in other reply, Nick Sutton has numerous details about how and where it was done. He devotes Ch. 14 of his book, The DeLorean Story, to the subject.

Nick and other sources tell that the plating process was performed in Germany. DMC supplied the bare panels, which then were shipped back to DMC after plating.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    04610

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    The final DeLorean built by DMC was 20104 - NOT 20105.

20105 was actually a much earlier engineering development car that was shipped to the states and the stainless removed and replaced with the spare set of gold panels/parts by Consolidated in Ohio and given the "last" VIN.
    I didn't know this .... So if 'VIN#20105' was an earlier model, it had an earlier VIN too? I guess nobody knows witch VIN, do they?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    As noted in other reply the plating was not done in the US.

Also as noted in other reply, Nick Sutton has numerous details about how and where it was done. He devotes Ch. 14 of his book, The DeLorean Story, to the subject.

Nick and other sources tell that the plating process was performed in Germany. DMC supplied the bare panels, which then were shipped back to DMC after plating.
    Good to know! Thanks!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    3294

# 3294 - 1981, Automatic, with Grey interior. New location - Lebanon, Tennessee

My VIN:    1420

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

5381 81 Grey 5 Speed Oct-81 has been in Ben Lomond, CA since 2007

Club(s):   (DCH)

20032 is in Dover,Kent,UK

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Delorean Test.pdf

Here is the latest VIN chronology. I've made numerous updates since the last post. In the column titled "photo" if there is a Y then that means I have a photo of the VIN plate. If you have a VIN plate photo not on the list please send it to me. Thanks.
    Shannon

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    Delorean Test.pdf

Here is the latest VIN chronology. I've made numerous updates since the last post. In the column titled "photo" if there is a Y then that means I have a photo of the VIN plate. If you have a VIN plate photo not on the list please send it to me. Thanks.
    Where should I send the Vin plate pic? Surprised I haven't sent it to you already.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast