FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Jack Storage Compartment

My VIN:    6585

Jack Storage Compartment

So I have a water leak in the storage compartment. My rusty jack is proof of this, so I'll need to figure out where the water may be coming in from.

More importantly at the moment however, I'm trying to find the knobs for my luggage rack. I could have sworn that I put them inside of the storage compartment where the jack goes. However, I just can't seem to find them. Trying to get a better view I snapped a photo with my phone, and saw the following:

IMG_2283.jpg

Do my eyes deceive me, or is the storage compartment NOT sealed off, and just wraps around the entire front corner of the car? Does it open up into the front pontoons/crumple zones around the wheel wells? If so, I'm rather hoping that it's sealed for the hope that if the knobs are in there that they didn't just roll out onto the street at some point in the past. Although of so, it's going to be a major PITA to get them out of a hidden little cavity I previously was unaware of!
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Huh. I'll have to look..I never looked in there to know it was open. Im guessing that it doesnt open up to the ground past that since the underbody is like halves glued together.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    3937

I had a helluva old mouse nest material collection in the front right area there when I first got my car. I cleaned it out by going in through the jack compartment door and reaching down in there with either gloved hands or the end of the shopvac. I don't believe it opens up either. Not without taking the fender off perhaps which I didn't do.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I had a helluva old mouse nest material collection in the front right area there when I first got my car. I cleaned it out by going in through the jack compartment door and reaching down in there with either gloved hands or the end of the shopvac. I don't believe it opens up either. Not without taking the fender off perhaps which I didn't do.

That compartment is not sealed. It is very common to find rodent damage to the vinyl pouch and see droppings and nest materiel in there. It is also common to find surface rust on the metal jack parts. Perhaps, at some point in your car's past it was driven through deep water?
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    That compartment is not sealed. It is very common to find rodent damage to the vinyl pouch and see droppings and nest materiel in there. It is also common to find surface rust on the metal jack parts. Perhaps, at some point in your car's past it was driven through deep water?
    Smokin' the electric lettuce again, eh Daver??

Sept. 81, auto, black interior