FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: There's finally a 1-DIN CarPlay-compatible stereo receiver

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Yeah, I've never seen one that flips down...or even that extends out then rotates around the center.
    Go onto eBay and search, 1 DIN 7" monitor. Lots of choices of flip downs.
    I bought one almost 4 years ago and never installed it in my D. No apple car play though on what I bought. Wouldn't want it anyway.

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Oh yeah...ebay..i always forget about that worldwide garage sale...hehe.

Im not concerned about car play either...all i need it a pretty screen with nav, neat stuff and a port to plug my ipod into.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Robmac123 View Post
    It is on the expensive side, but I think the reason navigation isn't included is that they intend you to use your phone for navigation, via the CarPlay interface.
    There is also something very key to mention about that as well. When you use Apple Maps with CarPlay, or Google Maps with Android Auto with one of these devices, as stated you don't need the separate SatNav system. But there's more to it than that. Both Apple and Google update their map databases on a regular basis. FOR FREE. If you buy one of these separate SatNav systems, there is a yearly cost to purchase the map database updates! With many new vehicles, the price is $150 a pop! All you have to spring for with your phone is just a fraction of data off your wireless plan to connect to the maps database on the fly. Which depending upon your carrier, may in fact be unlimited. Yeah, you can buy the other SD cards cheaper off eBay, but they still cost money, AND they're not updated on a regular basis. Nor do they contain real-time traffic updates. Unless of course you pay for the subscription service to activate those features on new cars.

Myself, I'm at the point where I really do need a double DIN radio in my car. I need navigation for my phone, as well as a large screen for a reverse camera. But given the fact that there still isn't a double-din solution yet, I figure I'll just go ahead and mount a universal overhead radio box, run all my wires up there, and then upholster the box in to look stock. I just need to ventilate the back side properly.

Given this was also supposed to be an option for the 1984 model, it won't be too radical of a modification. As for the empty hole in the center of my console, that will finally allow me to realize the greatest dream of all. The biggest design obstacle since full size windows.

SINGLE DIN CUP HOLDER!!!

Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    4877

An overhead device would be cool too...though I've never been in a car with one of those so not sure how convenient they are.

single -din cup holder...cool...but then I'd settle for a cupholder period...lol
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

I used to have a Sirius radio that stuck to the top of the windshield in my old work truck. Most of the time, it's not a problem at all. And I say most because if you're just reaching up to tap a button or two, it's no problem. Now if you're having to hold your arm up to channel surf, that's a little different because you're not lazily resting your wrist/arm on the shifter. It's different, but it's really not all that bad. With this radio being farther back and closer to me, I won't have to stretch as far, so I actually anticipate it'll be even easier.

Myself personally, I despise touch screens for a couple of reasons. The first is that they attract dust to fingerprints, so it gets difficult to read them when the sunlight reflects off of it. Which is why I would prefer it to be overhead so that I don't have that issue of glare. Second, I don't like tiny buttons on a complicated interface. I like either gigantic buttons on a minimalistic screen that I can see, or physical buttons with tactile features on them so that I can feel what button my finger is on without looking at it. Which is why I also want a unit with external buttons for volume and power to reach up and press without looking.
    Robert

My VIN:    5983

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Just playing devil's advocate here, is that really all that much of a plus? If I'm driving, chances are that I'm plugging my phone in to recharge it anyway.
    I guess it depends on how long you plan on keeping your current phone and your car. The only reason I can see it being a problem is that I expect iPhones will be completely wireless in the next few years.

They've only just brought out the first wireless for any CarPlay receiver but hopefully a 1-din will happen at some point

The technology aspect isn't something I'm worried about. At least not with a standard vehicle such as this (integrated infotainment systems , and cars without standard DINs are a whole other story). I'm not someone who demands constant cutting-edge technology to where I'm buying a new phone every 1-2 years. I'm more in the territory of about every 3-4 years with devices that meet my needs. But if I go every 5-8 buying a new radio, that is something that I'm perfectly fine with. And I believe is pretty realistic over all for a vehicle. I mean, the aftermarket unit in my car is now approaching 19 years of age (I've had it about 17½). Had I not have had the car in storage previously, I probably would have replaced it at least 5 years ago, and would still be opting for a unit with CarPlay now.

Personally, and this is me speaking, I honestly don't find any practical value/benefit with a wireless CarPlay interface. If I'm using CarPlay for constant functions such as navigation or audio streaming, that consumes a pretty decent amount of battery power. So if I will have to plug in the phone anyway to charge it, the wireless function is essentially useless.

I know that moving forward the next big thing is also wireless inductive charging (hence the push for wireless interfaces). That though just complicates things further. I've still got to run wires somewhere, and now rather than just the tiny footprint of a USB port I have to find an entire surface area to mount the charging pad. Plus it totally sucks to turn a corner too hard and have your phone go flying into the passenger footwell or into that space between the door and the seat. But if it's plugged in, I can gently pull on the charging cable and reel the entire phone back over to me instead of risking it falling out and cracking the screen when I have to stop, get out, and walk over to open the passenger side door to retrieve it. Even then after the phone slides off it's already stopped charging.
    Robert

My VIN:    16823

Club(s):   (DMA)

Figured I’d add onto this thread instead of starting a new one. The new Apple CarPlay wireless units apparently require a VSS or car speed sensor wire to be connected in order to work. Is that even possible with Delorean due to using angle drive? Anyone know?
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5

My VIN:    6248

Quote Originally Posted by aipri View Post
    Figured I’d add onto this thread instead of starting a new one. The new Apple CarPlay wireless units apparently require a VSS or car speed sensor wire to be connected in order to work. Is that even possible with Delorean due to using angle drive? Anyone know?
    Not sure if this would actually be compatible with the Delorean, but definitely possible with a unit like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Inst.../dp/B01N26K6EG

You can also get electronic units that are GPS-based, i.e. not wired to your wheel.

My VIN:    16823

Club(s):   (DMA)

Thanks. I decided to just exchange for a regular CarPlay wired version. Might’ve tried to go just a tad too modern for the Delorean

Quote Originally Posted by kobachi View Post
    Not sure if this would actually be compatible with the Delorean, but definitely possible with a unit like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Inst.../dp/B01N26K6EG

You can also get electronic units that are GPS-based, i.e. not wired to your wheel.
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2