FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Plymouth Prowler

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 08087 View Post
    The 3.5 V6 had more H.P. then any of the co. V8's of the time frame. So why stick a V8 in a car that weighs more and has less power?
    Because it's AMERICA!

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    Because it's AMERICA!
    That's it, because it's America? The V8 may be an icon but the V6 made more sense, easier on the front end, on fuel reg's for the company as a whole, cheaper to produce and sell.

I'd bet a good shop can make that V6 sound like anything you want.

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

America has always had a love for the V8 and tends to mock things that are smaller; regardless of if its better suited for the application. When you sell a car in the US, you have to consider your target consumers; people who like the style and are reminded of hot rods they once built, raced, or owned. Most of these had 8s and a number of people would be turned away simply due to the fact that it has a 6.

So, yeah, if you're selling it in America, you want 8 cylinders and a high HP number.

My VIN:    10718

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Personally, I think a high output (for its time) V6 is perfectly fine in a modern interpretation of a hot rod. But I do remember the various car magazines carping about the lack of a V8 when these were new, so I don't doubt that the engine turned off some buyers.

When I was shopping for one, a friend sent me this link (the fun begins at about 00:52):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd_p5BWM1VY

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    America has always had a love for the V8 and tends to mock things that are smaller; regardless of if its better suited for the application. When you sell a car in the US, you have to consider your target consumers; people who like the style and are reminded of hot rods they once built, raced, or owned. Most of these had 8s and a number of people would be turned away simply due to the fact that it has a 6.

So, yeah, if you're selling it in America, you want 8 cylinders and a high HP number.
    You make valid points but being I could (not really) have a V8 with 250 HP (actual) or a lighter V6 w 253 HP (actual) I'd be pretty dumb to take the V8. Sure one could argue you can add/change/modify an V8 more than a V6 for power but were talking stock form here.

Lets see if we can get back to the focus of the thread or just wrap it up all together.

Why go for a V8 instead of a V6? The soundtrack alone is enough justification.

But honestly, prowlers are like DeLoreans in one regard. Do not buy one if you don't want to get noticed all the time.
    Obtain 'O Meter▪▼▲≡▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪FEB 7.4% -5.3% since JAN '15
    %0▪▪▪10▪▪▪20▪▪30▪▪▪40▪▪50▪▪▪60▪▪70▪▪80▪▪90▪▪100
    ▪▪▪|▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪ |

===My YouTube Channel: TheDutchTexan
    [Vlogging, DashCam Compilations & CarShows!]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3