FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LED Brake Lights

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

LED Brake Lights

Can someone tell me how many SMD is ideal for LED brake light bulbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----Dan B.

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Tough to say, depends on the SME type. If you can, see if they list the lumen output. At least 200 is good, closer to 300 is best. The real safety aspect of LED brake lights is the instant on which grabs the driver's attention much faster then the normal ramp up of light that you normally get from incandescent. The power savings is nice too. Especially since the incandescent lights take a lot of power and you typically brake at idle which could cause a voltage drop.

My VIN:    6585

Throwing this out there, what about the beam angle as well? Light doesn't just come out of the center of the bulb, but bounces off of the reflectors inside of the housing to illuminate the entire lens. Otherwise you just end up with tiny dots that light up on the center, which isn't safer at all.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Often the listed lumens are for the white version of the bulb. When you can find lumen values specified for the red versions they are usually much lower values (you want to use the red bulbs because the white LEDs end up looking orange thru the red lens). I just installed some brake lights and the red lumen spec listed 130 lm. This was one of the brightest red values I have found. They are extremely bright and I am pleased with the results. These bulbs use the 5050 SMD segments and there are 26 segments on the bulb. This makes the bulb fairly large but it fits the DeLorean tail light assembly just fine.

Here's the link:
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...Specifications

Ron

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I went the easy route and got the LED kit from DMC..they plug right into the stock light boards and work good.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Thanks guys, I'll check out the link above. DMCH kit yes, problem is I already have every bulb in LED except the brake lights so a kit would be getting stuff I already have and wouldn't need unfortunately.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    4665

Highly recommend these for superior brightness.

http://www.putco.com/products.cfm?ac...6-fd8037d1078d

I have them and couldn't be more pleased. Significantly brighter than the DMCH led for brake light.

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by iflights View Post
    Highly recommend these for superior brightness.

http://www.putco.com/products.cfm?ac...6-fd8037d1078d

I have them and couldn't be more pleased. Significantly brighter than the DMCH led for brake light.
    +1! I went all plasma bulbs for taillights, front turn signals, and side marker bulbs. They are way brighter than any other cars with standard LEDs I've compared against, and of course brighter than standard incandescent. They are expensive, but if you want bright it is THE way to go.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    +1! I went all plasma bulbs for taillights, front turn signals, and side marker bulbs. They are way brighter than any other cars with standard LEDs I've compared against, and of course brighter than standard incandescent. They are expensive, but if you want bright it is THE way to go.
    What really is a plasma LED? I try to keep up on new technology and have only seen it as a sales gimic name. Anyone have any patent info?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    What really is a plasma LED? I try to keep up on new technology and have only seen it as a sales gimic name. Anyone have any patent info?
    Not sure about the technical differences but looking at them, they are single flat surfaces rather than nodes like seen on SMDs. Gimic or not, I haven't seen a traditional LED bulb that is brighter.

Here is where I bought from: http://jlcconcept.com/index.php?rout...duct_id=785219

1156PLASMA_1-800x800.jpg
    David Proehl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast